Former Labor defence minister Joel Fitzgibbon has called it a “national tragedy” that some special forces veterans stayed away from the opening of Anzac Hall amid the controversy surrounding Ben Roberts-Smith.
Roberts-Smith, who is awaiting trial on five counts of the war crime of murder, was granted a bail variation to attend the opening of Anzac Hall.
However, his barrister informed the court ahead of the ceremony that the Victoria Cross recipient had fallen ill and would not attend.
Mr Fitzgibbon, who attended the opening, told Sky News that Roberts-Smith’s explanation was likely genuine.
Mr Fitzgibbon said: “In other circumstances he may have made his way there anyway, no matter how sick. He’s a pretty tough guy”.
He also questioned why a highly decorated soldier such as Roberts-Smith had to seek a bail variation to attend.
“What’s wrong with the system … that a VC has to go through that process for the right to visit the Australian War Memorial?” he said.
The former defence minister labelled the debate surrounding Roberts-Smith a “national tragedy,” claiming some special forces veterans skipped the event because of the public controversy.
“I do know that our special forces soldiers weren’t enthused about being there last night and were not there because of the public debate,” he said.
“I think that’s a national tragedy.”
The opening marked a major milestone for the completion of the Australian War Memorial’s Atrium and Anzac Hall, part of its $550 million redevelopment.
All living Victoria Cross recipients were invited.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese joined current and former political leaders, military figures and veterans at the official opening of Anzac Hall on Tuesday night.
Mr Fitzgibbon has previously backed Roberts-Smith and argued he should retain his Victoria Cross.
One Nation leader Pauline Hanson also defended Roberts-Smith at the event.
“He may have been charged, he hasn’t been convicted. He’s still an innocent man,” she told Sky News.
Defence Minister Richard Marles also supported Roberts-Smith’s attendance, saying it was “appropriate” for the veteran to attend following the amendment to his bail conditions.
“The Victoria Cross recipients have been invited to this, which is appropriate. I’m comfortable about that,” he told ABC TV on Tuesday.