Years of anticipation culminated in a historic touchdown at Western Sydney International Airport, as the first test cargo aircraft landed on the tarmac.
The Qantas A321 freighter safely touched down at 2pm on Monday, marking a major milestone ahead of the airport’s Cargo Precinct formal opening on July 26.
The precinct is set to “substantially enhance” Sydney’s air freight capacity and aims to support the movement of 220,000 tonnes of freight annually.
Western Sydney International chief executive Simon Hickey said the trial flights marked the final stages of the airport’s operational readiness program, with testing procedures continuing throughout the next fortnight.
“These trials are an integral part of ensuring that our systems, infrastructure and staff have been put through their paces in a live and controlled operating environment,” he said.
Many aviation fanatics spectated outside the airport gates, celebrating with a round of applause.
Acting Minister for Transport Kristy McBain welcomed Qantas Freight’s first trial flight to Sydney’s new airport.
“This is the largest plane to land at Western Sydney International Airport so far, as we get ready to open for freight services,” she said.
“The new airport will connect Western Sydney to the world, allowing us to move produce and goods from every corner of the state to new markets across the globe.”
Qantas and Jetstar both recently announced their services would fly from the new location later in the year.
Jetstar is set to operate its first commercial passenger plane from the Airport on October 25, when the airport officially opens for passengers.
The flight will take off at 11am local time and will be bound for the Gold Coast, marking the first of four weekly flights to the destination.
The low-cost carrier will also operate three weekly flights to Brisbane and up to 14 to Melbourne Airport.
While Qantas Freight will start officially operating by the end of July, its passenger services will only begin on March 28 next year.