The mantra is refreshingly simple.
New Melbourne Renegades Big Bash League coach Luke Ronchi wants his players to be armed with a ruthless, winning edge while preserving a genuine joy for the game.
Ronchi was unveiled on Friday as the man to steer the Renegades through what could be their final year under the red banner.
A private investor is likely to take over the franchise in the future after Cricket Victoria announced plans to sell 100 per cent of the Renegades and focus on one Victorian BBL club.
But Ronchi, who played international cricket for Australia and New Zealand, isn’t fretting over any shifting sands.
Instead, he is searching for total commitment from his new players that blends a relaxed environment with a hard-nosed focus.
“I am a pretty relaxed person, I want them to enjoy what they’re doing, but I also want them to have purpose in what they’re doing,” Ronchi said.
“You can’t be too carefree but it’s making sure you’re enjoying what you’re trying to do. I think performances will help from that.
“From a player point of view, if they’re looking at what they can bring to a team, I think there’s always something bigger than individuals in a game of cricket.
“I think if players can think along those lines, they get out of their own heads a little bit and get more of what’s needed in a moment.
“I want them to enjoy it – that’s the biggest thing. I want to try and enhance their skill-set, the stuff they know they’re good at and make sure they’re having fun doing it.”
Ronchi’s relaxed view on the Renegades’ future stems from his experience in franchise cricket.
The way he sees it, the landscape dramatically evolves every year.
“There might be a little bit of (change), but a lot of these guys are going to continue on in their careers in the Big Bash,” he said.
“Whatever the franchise looks like after this season, it is what it is, but again, I kind of think each year. No matter what team you’re with in T20 space is effectively going to be the last year as a group all together anyway.
“There are always changes each season, so I think the guys are going to go out there and give it their best chance to see how it goes.”
The Renegades have received short returns from some of their marquee overseas signings in recent seasons.
Quinton de Kock failed to reach 50 in his six innings in 2023-24 and Mohammad Rizwan was retired from an innings due to his strike rate.
Ronchi is already working the phones to land powerful imports, but he will maintain the focus on balance over selecting the best available.
“That’s already started, we’re looking at the list and how we can improve positions on the team and what it might look like,” he said.
“That’s from an overseas point of view, a local point of view and how we can marry that all up to fit in with what’s available.
“One thing we want is to make sure there’s a consistency across the board with who’s around, and make sure we know we’re bringing in the right people to help the team.”
Originally published as Former international wicketkeeper Luke Ronchi on his new role as Melbourne Renegades coach