Days after axing its CEO, Adelaide Hills Council has vowed to cancel a previously proposed rate rise following community backlash.
The rate plan now reflects an increase of 6.8 per cent – down from the proposed 7.6 per cent which went to consultation last month.
Mayor Nathan Daniell said the final Annual Business Plan reflected the “community’s priorities”, as well as council’s “commitment to long-term financial sustainability”.
“This budget strikes a balance between protecting what makes the Adelaide Hills special and managing council’s finances responsibly to ensure we can return to surplus in coming years,” Mr Daniell said.
“Thank you to the residents who took the time to provide feedback during consultation.
“We have listened to that feedback and reduced the proposed rate increase while maintaining funding for key projects, essential services and infrastructure.”
Council’s business plan forecasts a $68m income with an expenditure of $71.1m – a proposed $3.1m operating deficit.
It comes after, just last week, council parted ways with its chief executive Greg Georgopoulos after a closed doors special council meeting.
Mr Georgopoulos had been in the role since July 2023, having previously spent five years as chief executive of the Kangaroo Island Council and having held local government roles at Prospect and the City of Port Adelaide Enfield.
In a statement, the council said at the special meeting “council determined to conclude its employment relationship” with Mr Georgopoulos.
Mr Georgopoulos told The Advertiser he had begun legal action against Adelaide Hills Council over his exit, but due to legal advice could not provide specific details.
Mr Georgopoulos’ tenure as chief executive coincided with a turbulent period for the Adelaide Hills Council.
Former Mayor Jan-Claire Wisdom quit in September 2025, nine months after the council voted for her to apologise and resign after an investigation found she breached behavioural standards, bullied staff and misled the council over her use of a policy to obtain her own legal advice – allegations she consistently denied.
In 2024, the council lost nearly a quarter of its staff, alongside a massive spike in the council’s legal fees, which reached more than a quarter of a million dollars that financial year.
Adelaide Hills Council director of environment and infrastructure Jade Ballantine has been appointed as acting chief executive, effective from last Thursday.
The council’s statement said a “comprehensive search” for a new chief executive would begin soon, as part of a “refreshed strategic vision for the Adelaide Hills Council region”.