A diver has been flown to hospital after being attacked by a 2m shark off the coast of Tasmania.

The 31-year-old man was attacked on Saturday morning while diving off the shore of Coal Point, Adventure Bay, in the Bruny Island area of the state.

It is believed the shark was a long broadnose seven gill shark, with the diver, a 31-year-old man, suffering a bite to his forearm.

In a statement posted on Facebook, Tasmania Police said the man had been able to return to the shore and was assisted by fellow divers.

“The man was diving with two other people at a depth of 8m and approximately 50m offshore from Coal Point, Adventure Bay, when he was bitten by what is believed to be a 2m long broadnose sevengill shark,” Inspector Darren Latham said in the post.

“The man was able to return to shore and was assisted by fellow divers who contacted emergency services at about 9.10am.

“He sustained non-life threatening injuries to his lower forearm and was transported to the Royal Hobart Hospital by the Westpac Rescue Helicopter in a stable condition.”

The inspector said the coastline was being patrolled for further shark activity, but there had been no further sightings at this stage.

“While this appears to be an isolated incident, we are reminding anyone planning to swim or dive in the area to be vigilant, follow local safety advice and be aware of their surroundings,” he added.

It is the latest shark attack incident in Australia this year. Four of the 12 attacks in 2026 have been fatal.