A national terror attack, bushfire and flood emergency alert system to be rolled out by the Albanese government is at risk of becoming a $132m “dud”, with some emergency services refusing to use it.

The federal government plans to test the new AusAlert warning system on July 27 as part of it becoming operational nationally in October.

As part of the test, Australians with a compatible mobile phone will be sent an emergency siren alert at 2pm.

However, The Sunday Telegraph can reveal most emergency agencies are planning not to use the system in its current form amid concerns alerts do not go to landlines, older mobile phones may not be compatible, and that the alert “disappears” after it is read.

Concern over AusAlert’s failings led the Commissioners and Chief Officers Strategic Committee to express its concerns at a meeting this week.

CCOSC is responsible for shaping national disaster and aerial firefighting capabilities, ensuring state and territory emergency services can deploy resources across borders during major crises.

Other issues that have been raised about AusAlert include the lack of a hyperlink in the body of the message to allow people to find out more information about an evolving ­incident.

The messages also do not ­appear to be able to be shared, forcing people to take screenshots should they need to alert others.

So concerned are agencies at the system’s failings that it is understood the Queensland Fire Department is considering not using it during the upcoming fire season, while NSW is also assessing whether it should stick with the existing Emergency Alert “EA” system, which can reach landlines.

Launched in February this year, AusAlert was designed to use cell broadcast technology to enable authorities, including state and territory authorities, to send targeted emergency messages to all compatible ­mobile devices, and be able to geolocate them down to a 160m radius.

This meant a message could technically be sent to shoppers in Bondi Junction during a knife attack or across a broader area facing a flood emergency.

It is understood the government is satisfied with the results of nine trials in which alerts went to the target area.

However a source within the emergency services sector claimed the system had been developed without adequate consultation of those charged with using it and risked becoming “a dud”.

“It’s a real missed opportunity to have one of the best warning systems, and those that have to use it are not ­involved in its development,” the source said.

Asked about the issues, Emergency Management Minister Kristy McBain said the National Emergency Management Agency was “aware” of the concerns “and will continue to work with states and territories to address these in the lead-up to the upcoming high-risk weather season”.

Agencies across Australia would continue to have access to the old system as well as AusAlert “until at least July 2027”.