An Adelaide business has gone up in flames in what police believe to be a deliberate arson attack moments before a vehicle was stolen from the premises.
Police and fire crews were called to K&A Auto Services on Raglan Ave at Edwardstown about 12.20am on Monday.
Witness have told The Advertiser they heard explosions as the blaze took hold, causing an estimated $1.5m in damage.
A driver waiting in the nearby Hungry Jack’s drive-thru called triple-0 alerting them to the incident.
A devastated Glen O’Rourke turned up at the fire-ravaged property on Monday morning to find his pride and joy BMW 740I, which he owned for 6 ½ years, had been left a burned mess.
Mr O’Rourke said he received a text message last Friday to pick up the car but due to his role in reopening the Rosemont Hotel on Hindley Street, he planned to pick it up this Wednesday.
“It hurts, it’s only a car but still I was looking forward to getting it back,” he said after seeing the car.
“I was looking forward to having my car for the opening in a couple of weeks, anyway that’s just life.
“I’m a man of faith and I pray for peace and we’ll look forward to ultimately getting a new car.”
Mr O’Rourke said he hopes the police are able to catch those who are responsible for the fire.
“The person who was doing the work here on the car is a real specialist and I was so looking forward to getting it back,” he said.
“Anyone who operates in this criminal activity, the police need more resources to be able to look after these smaller things.
“I just hope whoever did this and targeted this site pays the price.”
The Advertiser understands the owner of the site who leases it is currently away, with the owner of the auto repairs shop also on holidays.
Plastic sheeting and metal beams inside the auto repair shop were left a crumbled mess after the fire took hold overnight.
Torched filing cabinets and parts of the metal roof collapsed during the blaze, landing inside the building, where fortunately nobody was inside.
Foam used by the MFS to control the blaze is still visible among the charred rubble inside the business.
Fortunately MFS crews were able to save an adjoining upholstery business.
Aaron O’Rourke was grabbing his morning coffee at Hungry Jacks across the road in Castle Plaza when he noticed the workshop where his dad’s car was getting repainted had gone up in flames.
“It’s nuts, everything in there is just melted and disintegrated,” Mr O’Rourke said.
“It’s just gone, all up in flames.
“It’s kind of crazy having something like that so close to South Road.”
Mr O’Rourke said he believes the owner of the business to be a good man, having worked on a number of his family’s cars.
“We’ve know him for a while, he’s done a few of our cars and I personally think he’s a good person,” he said.
“I didn’t see the fire but it looks like it should’ve spread so it’s super lucky.”
MFS commander Declan Dwyer said crews worked hard for over an hour to save adjoining businesses and contain the blaze.
“When we arrived we found very heavy fire coming out of the roof and out of the front of the building,” Mr Dwyer said.
“There was quite a few hazards, being a mechanical workshop there’s very likely to be solvents, chemicals and petrol and things like that as well as paints.
“The damage for the business affected is pretty catastrophic … estimate for damage is probably around $1.5 million.”
An MFS spokesperson said 46 firefighters arrived to find a well-involved fire within one of the tenancies of a building, an area about 20 by 40 metres.
“Fire crews worked hard to contain the blaze, using aerial appliances, taking 30 minutes with a further two hours required to fully extinguish the fire,” the spokesperson said.
Firefighters used a combination of water and foam to bring the fire under control and extinguish it.
Fire investigators attended the scene this morning and are treating the fire as suspicious.
Police say officers identified a white 2014 Holden Commodore sedan – SA registration S927 BNF – was stolen from the business just prior to the fire.
Police believe the fire was deliberately lit and ask anyone who may have witnessed the incident or anyone who spots the stolen Holden to contact Crime Stoppers at www.crimestopperssa.com.au or on 1800 333 000.