Federal Labor MP Luke Gosling has denied he was involved in an altercation with the King’s representative at an event in Darwin at the weekend.

Police have interviewed Northern Territory Administrator David Connolly after he alleged Mr Gosling assaulted him at the Darwin Thai Festival on Saturday.

Sky News twice asked Mr Gosling if he had been involved in a run-in with Mr Connolly.

On the first occasion he responded “no”.

Asked again he said “no mate”.

He also issued a statement to this masthead emphatically denying Mr Connolly’s accusation.

“These are ridiculous allegations that I categorically deny,” he said.

“I’ve had no dealings with the Administrator since congratulating him following the announcement of his appointment late last year.”

Mr Connolly’s official secretary Craig Kitchen issued a statement in relation to the incident on Tuesday.

“An incident occurred during His Honour the Administrator’s official attendance at a community event over the weekend,” the statement said.

“The matter has been referred to the Northern Territory Police Force.

“As the matter is under investigation, no further comment will be made regarding the incident or the parties involved.”

An NT Police spokesman confirmed it was investigating the matter, but declined to comment further.

Two detectives attended the Administrator’s office in Darwin on Tuesday morning.

They spent more than two hours taking a statement from Mr Connolly.

Mr Connolly’s appointment earlier this year was shrouded in controversy after it was revealed he had made posts on social media that were described as racist.

Mr Gosling and his federal Labor colleagues Marion Scrymgour and Malarndirri McCarthy strongly opposed Mr Connolly’s appointment.

At the time Mr Gosling labelled Mr Connolly’s appointment a “captain’s pick” by Chief Minister Lia Finocchiaro and a “disgrace”.

The Administrator holds an important position in the Northern Territory and that’s what makes this such a bad decision,” Mr Gosling said.

“A really, bad decision because there’s been a deliberate decision by the Chief Minister of the Northern Territory to go with an exclusionary individual rather than an inclusionary person that would have brought Territorians together and represented all Territorians.”