AFL legend Tony Modra has provided a positive health update after his horror truck crash last month.
The Adelaide Crows icon, 57, was left in a critical condition when a tree branch smashed through the windscreen of his vehicle.
Two-time all-Australian Modra was immediately taken to intensive care and there were fears his injuries could be fatal.
But just one month later, after pulling through surgery and being discharged from hospital, he has shared a picture of him smiling alongside wife Erica, son Luke, and daughter Hayley.
Speaking on Instagram, he said: “SA Ambulance Service, South Coast District Hospital & Flinders Medical Centre
“Saved my life. Put me back together with a few titanium plates. Got me home.
“I’m getting out and about a bit now, and slowly catching up on everything I missed over the last month.
“I’m so humbled to learn how many people were cheering these incredible medical teams on… and our family too.
“I’ll never be able to thank everyone enough.️”
The shocking incident happened on June 18, during a spell of severe weather.
Modra was airlifted to Flinders Medical Centre from the crash site at Back Valley, south of Adelaide.
He reportedly had surgery on his cheek, jaw and eye socket following the crash, the Herald Sun’s Jon Ralph told Kayo Sports.
“After grave fears for his life, he has taken significant steps forward in the last 12 hours. That mean those close to him believe he is out of the woods,” Ralph said in June.
Modra’s wife Erica called it a “freak accident” in a statement, thanking friends, family, and the AFL community for their support during the ordeal.
“We are extremely grateful to the three passersby – including two people who were trained in first aid and another who provided comfort – who stopped to help within seconds,” she said.
“The emergency services’ professionalism, care and swift action were extraordinary as well. Without doubt, they all played a critical role in saving Anthony’s life.”
In his illustrious career, Modra made 118 appearances for the Crows and 47 for Fremantle.
He was Adelaide’s leading goal-kicker for five straight seasons and played in State of Origin.