Parents of an 11-year-old boy with autism who said he wanted to “kill” teachers is fighting his expulsion from one of Australia’s most prestigious schools.

The Federal Court case against Brisbane Grammar School is set to test expanded disability discrimination laws.

The boy and his parents, whose names have been suppressed by the court, are pursuing a discrimination claim against the school for expelling their son after a playground tussle with another student last October.

Court documents say that despite the autistic boy being the victim of the altercation, he was pulled away from class later that day after the school believed CCTV vision showed he hit the other boy. The parents dispute this after viewing the footage themselves.

He was taken to the office where a number of senior school staff interacted with him while waiting for his parents to arrive.

The filed papers say that while in the office, the boy, who also has ADHD, became dysregulated, leading to physical and verbal loss of control, kicking out at staff from his chair, throwing things and using inappropriate language towards staff.

The school alleges that over a period of 30 minutes he made multiple threats to staff including offensive comments such as including “F*** off” and “I’m going to kill you”.

.

The parents claim their son was discriminated against because the school failed to comply with his Behaviour Summary Plan and Safety Plan, which had been developed in conjunction with autism experts.

They say the outburst was an “autistic meltdown” that “occurred in the context of manifestation of a known disability, with clear strategies in place that were not followed”. The parents also argue it is discriminatory that their son was immediately suspended while the other student in the playground incident, who they claim was the aggressor, merely received a Friday detention.

It comes amid rising rates of disciplinary action, suspension and expulsion of children with a disability. In Queensland, where this case is based, children with a disability accounted for 55 per cent of suspensions in 2025, despite making up only a quarter of the student population.

The case is expected to test the application of an expanded definition of disability to include behaviour that is “a symptom or manifestation of a disability”. It will directly test how Australian courts balance school safety against statutory protections for neurodivergent students under the Disability Discrimination Act.

By finding that unaddressed peer aggression and a failure to implement mandatory support plans directly caused the student’s dysregulation, the Federal Court’s ruling could establish whether schools can be held liable for disciplinary exclusions where the behavioural outburst was precipitated by the school’s own failure to provide required accommodations.

The boy’s mother said her son had “lost his school, his friends, and his sense of belonging, all because the school makes a terrible mistake when viewing the footage”.

“He has a disability so doesn’t know how to advocate for himself in the moment.”

An autism expert who worked with the boy says he “has a history of using highly inflammatory language to communicate the intensity of his distress, even if he has no real understanding of what the words mean or intention to action them”.

WATCH NOW: Education Unpacked part two - Educating diverse minds

Documents filed by the school’s lawyers state “its handling of the events of 30 October 2025 was in accordance with the agreed procedures and reasonable adjustments implemented for managing needs”.

They note the playground incident was “very serious” but that the boy’s behaviour in the office “posed an unacceptable risk to both their physical and psychological

safety”.

The court documents also state that the boy had faced 15 detentions between May 2024 and June 2025, including some for more minor issues such as incomplete homework.

The school said the request that the boy leave the school was “based on the behaviours exhibited by (name removed) and not based on his disability”.

The boy is now enrolled in his local high school after the parents failed to find another school to take him for year seven at short notice.

They are seeking a public apology and general damages for pain, suffering, emotional distress, humiliation and damage to reputation along with compensation for the “reduced standard of education” their son will receive. They are also seeking aggravated damages in light of what they claim is the school’s lack of remorse.

Conciliation in the Australian Human Rights Commission (AHRC) has failed, and the matter is now proceeding in the Federal Court.

A spokesperson for the AHRC said the “Disability Discrimination Act makes it unlawful to discriminate against a person because of disability in areas of public life,

including education”.

A spokeswoman for Brisbane Grammar School said the matter is currently before the court. “The school is also respectful of orders that have been made by the court in the proceedings to protect the identities of the children involved. It is therefore not appropriate that the school provide any comment on the details of the case,” she said.

Matilda Alexander, human rights lawyer and CEO at Queensland Advocacy for Inclusion said: “We too often hear of cases where students with disabilities are unfairly suspended or expelled from schools when all they want is to study and learn. The legal tests for discrimination are outdated and fail to provide the protections needed to allow students with disabilities to stay at school.

“The Disability Royal Commission said the law needs to change to make the suspension of disabled students a last resort. We need to implement the recommendations of the commission to ensure successful futures and equal prospects for all students,” she said.

Do you have a disability discrimination story?

Contact us at education@news.com.au