It’s been dubbed the “slide of doom”.
Just last week, a senior New South Wales minister posted a video to celebrate the completion of a long-awaited new adventure playground.
Paul Scully, Minister for Planning and Public Spaces, was seen popping himself into the opening of the steep new slide at Toggerai Park in Appin, south of Sydney, before shooting out the bottom at considerable speed and barely staggering to his feet — ta-da!
“Delivered, tested and … approved,” the video declared triumphantly.
Mr Scully wrote in the caption, “Appin has a new park for all ages to enjoy! Come out for a Community Day on Sunday July 19 from 11am to celebrate Toggerai Park’s opening, featuring a fun run, lawn games, children’s story time, and refreshments.”
Unfortunately, the Minister spoke too soon.
Within days of the park’s official opening, the top of the slide had been ominously sealed off with a metal cover as the Department launched an urgent safety review.
The town of around 3200 people, located in the Wollondilly Shire, has been abuzz in recent weeks with talk of the slide.
Local community Facebook groups have been flooded with complaints and multiple reports of injuries — ranging from sore bums to broken bones.
News.com.au could not independently verify all of those claims.
“I’ve been up there with my adult children and my granddaughter — my granddaughter flew out, my daughter, she weighs about 50kg, she exited quite fast,” one long-time resident, who manages the community Facebook page Appin Development Plan, told news.com.au.
“While we were there we observed a variety of children of different ages coming out quite fast, they were bouncing on their backs.”
The woman said while the park only officially opened last week, construction had been completed some time ago and locals had been using it unofficially.
“There’s all these injuries happening at the park within the last two months,” she said.
“We’ve seen videos of parents flying out with kids. Ambulances going up there, people breaking bones. Over the weekend I noticed a post from a member of the public who said they had broken their leg and asking if anybody else had been injured.”
A NSW Ambulance spokesman confirmed to news.com.au emergency services were “called to a park off Appin Road on July 13 at around 1.30pm”.
“We treated a man in his 30s for a leg injury and he was transported to Campbelltown Hospital in a stable condition,” he said, adding he was unable to confirm if the injury was related to the slide. “I don’t have that detail.”
In a Facebook post on the same day, the NSW Department of Planning, Housing and Infrastructure (DHPI) had invited people to “come and explore the new Toggerai Park in Appin!”
“Spanning 17 hectares, this family-friendly park has slides, a flying fox, walking trails, and picnic spots,” the Department wrote.
“Located just 1km north of Appin’s town centre, Toggerai Park is shaped by community input and designed as a place for locals and visitors to connect, play and unwind outdoors. Proudly delivered by the NSW Government in partnership with Wollondilly Shire Council through the Parks for People program.”
Another woman shared a photo of her leg in a cast in a hospital bed, writing, “I ended up in the hospital with a broken foot that I snapped in two spots going down the slide.”
She added she was considering pursuing legal action.
News.com.au has sought comment from the woman.
Another mum wrote on Facebook, “My daughter has been on hundreds of slides and never once flew out of one at the speed and force of the one in Appin. She shot out like a cannon and was thrown metres from the exit, landing hard on her butt. She wasn’t injured badly, just a little sore, but I still think the slide needs to be fixed.”
She added, “After so many injuries in a short time in such a small town, there should at least be a warning.”
Another concerned resident said locals were “excited about having more of an adventure playground” and had been “going in and having a look for quite some time” before the official opening.
“Concerns were noted pretty much straight away, especially with respect to the slide,” she told news.com.au.
The woman questioned whether the slide conformed to the relevant Australian Standards.
She said she was also “really concerned” about the extremely narrow shared footpath.
“It’s already got quite a bit of a drop-off [on the sides],” she said. “It’s designed so people on bikes, people with prams, people on wheelchairs [can use it], but you can just see [accidents] happening as people pass each other. It’s just frustrating because if it’s done well [the park is] such an asset to the community.”
A spokeswoman for Minister Scully’s office said in a statement to news.com.au, “The slide is certified for use and complies with the relevant Australian Standards for Playgrounds. As a precaution, the slide has been cordoned off while the contractor undertakes further assessment.”
Not everyone agreed with the fuss, however.
“When we wrap children up in cotton wool they grow up to be precious whingers who are scared of their own shadow,” one mum wrote on Facebook.
“Risk taking is part of growing up. Every piece of play equipment can cause injury … parents [could] make the decision to keep their kids off it but not take it away from the other little thrill seekers who enjoy a fast slide.”
Another man agreed, “That’s why the children these days sit inside, have a look at the parks kids played [at] in the ‘80s and ’90s. Not too many parks around these days because everyone wants compensation.”
The state-owned site, a sprawling patch of rolling paddocks, already has a controversial history.
In 2020, the former Liberal government evicted long-time tenants and koala conservationists Sue Gay and her daughter, Kate Banister.
The family had been renting the property from the former Department of Planning, Industry and Environment (DPIE) for 34 years.
They believed their eviction was retaliation for their involvement in a court action against developer Lendlease opposing a housing development up the road that they claimed would destroy a koala habitat.
At the time, the Department said it intended to repurpose the site for urban development.
That plan was abandoned amid significant local backlash, however, and the state government later reached a deal to sell the site back to Wollondilly Shire Council for $1 after construction of the new adventure park.
The manager of the local Facebook page said people who complained to council about injuries were getting the run-around.
“I know the state government is looking after it for the next 12 months,” she said.
“Council is sending people to the state government, the state government is sending people to council, people are going around in circles. No one’s accepting responsibility, saying, ‘We’re sorry.’ We just want to know who owns the park.”
Minister Scully’s spokeswoman said, “The NSW Government retains ownership of the park while the embellishment works are underway and is responsible for its maintenance during this time. Wollondilly Shire Council manages the park, with ownership to be transferred to council at a future date.”
Wollondilly Shire Council has been contacted for comment.