Confidence in Port Adelaide’s direction and culture led Jack Whitlock to re-sign on a long-term deal.

The Victorian key forward, who was already contracted through 2027, was offered deals of various lengths by the Power and chose to extend his stay for five more campaigns.

Whitlock, 20, has booted 23 goals from 22 matches, including 19 from 18 this year.

His extension takes him well beyond Tasmania’s entry into the competition ahead of the 2028 season under former Port coach Ken Hinkley.

Whitlock said he was loving his time at the club and in Adelaide.

“I did have a couple of (contract) options but ultimately I like where we’re going and have heaps of faith in the coaches and culture,” Whitlock said.

“Coming from country Victoria (Shepparton) … it’s pretty chill and similar to Adelaide.

“It’s 15, 20 minutes everywhere, which is something I really like.

“Talking to my brother (Kangaroos player Matt) in Melbourne, it takes 45 minutes to training.”

Selected with pick 33 in the 2024 national draft, Whitlock has not missed a game since debuting in round 21 last year.

Port was determined to lock the promising tall away and chats with his management heated up after the first few weeks of the campaign.

“I always had self-belief I could play some good footy early, but to play every game this year wasn’t what I was expecting,” Whitlock said.

He is living with Power goalsneak Joe Berry, a former Murray Bushrangers teammate who hails from the Victorian country town of Benalla.

“Having someone come over with a similar lifestyle as you growing up definitely makes it a lot easier,” Whitlock said.

The newly re-signed forward expected back-to-back reigning premiers Brisbane to be really difficult to beat at the Gabba on Sunday.

Port is taking confidence from pushing ladder-leaders Fremantle for most of last week’s game despite being undermanned, as well as its wins over Adelaide and Geelong earlier this year.

“I know we can bring our best,” Whitlock said.

“Carry (senior coach Josh Carr) will get us up like we always do.”

The Power recalled stars Mitch Georgiades (concussion) and Jason Horne-Francis (suspension) to face the Lions.

On-ballers Will Lorenz and Jack Watkins, and key defender Harrison Ramm also came into the extended squad.

Midfielder/forward Joe Richards (finger) and wingman Jacob Wehr (omitted) are out.

‘Don’t want the season to finish’: Zadow trying to repay the faith

Mitch Zadow’s dad has travelled from Western Australia to watch all four of the Port Adelaide small forward’s matches during his debut season.

He even flew to Melbourne for the St Kilda game a fortnight ago, only for his son to be a late out due to illness.

Zadow, 22, made it up to his dad on Saturday by producing his best performance, kicking 3.3 from 10 disposals in the home loss to ladder-leading Fremantle.

“I think I owed him one,” Zadow told this masthead.

“I can’t believe I’m here and playing the footy I am.

“I’ve had family members come over to every game, and mates, and it’s just awesome.”

Zadow, from Pinjarra, a country town about an hour south of Perth, joined Port as a rookie in February during the supplemental selection period.

The East Fremantle product debuted against Richmond at the MCG in round 4, then had to bide his time before being recalled for the Power’s upset Showdown win last month.

He is out of contract at season’s end but is trying not to think much about his future. Zadow is more focused on holding his spot.

“Me and my manager just spoke about playing consistent footy and if I do that, everything will work out fine,” he said.

“I don’t want the season to finish and I want to play as many AFL games as possible.”

Zadow said kicking three majors against Fremantle, including the first on Saturday, was a surprise.

“I went into the game trying to be a bit of an annoyance to Jordan Clark,” he said.

“I had a great chat to Sam Powell-Pepper before the game and he told me that some of his best games come from doing a role on someone.

“That gave me a bit of confidence.

“I’m ecstatic to go all right, but we didn’t get the win.”

The game was extra special for Zadow because he played alongside his housemates Balyn O’Brien and Xavier Bamert.

It was the AFL debut for fellow SSP addition O’Brien and the sixth match for mid-season recruit Bamert.

“Training with Balyn as an SSP, we created a bond quite early – I’m a country boy and he’s a country boy,” Zadow said.

“To see him get the call-up was awesome.

“I love the way he goes about it and the coaching staff does as well.

“Bammo (Bamert) is almost untapped potential and I think he can go a long way at AFL level.”

Zadow said the trio was determined to make the most of its opportunities as the team, sitting 15th with a 6-12 record, battled a long injury list.

“Me and Balyn and all those boys, if we had a full-strength side we probably wouldn’t be in there,” he said.

“We’re just playing our role.”

POWER TO REGAIN TWO STARS, LOSE YOUNG GUN

Port Adelaide is expected to regain two stars for Sunday’s away clash with Brisbane but has lost in-form Joe Richards for a month due to a broken finger.

Just as Mitch Georgiades prepares to resume from concussion and on-baller Jason Horne-Francis becomes available after serving a one-game ban, Richards, arguably the Power’s best in Saturday’s home loss to ladder-leader Fremantle, is likely to miss up to four weeks.

Port has used 38 players this season, the equal-fifth most in the competition.

“As much as you don’t want injuries to your key players, it does give you opportunities to look at your list,” Power defensive coach Luke Webster said.

Three-game key defender Harrison Ramm has a chance to return after withdrawing late against the Dockers.

“He’s a kid that we want to have in our team and we think he can add some real value to our backline,” Webster said. 

The Power was considering whether utility Miles Bergman would revert to defence from the midfield because Horne-Francis was returning.

“Selfishly, I’d love him to be in the back half … but he can help us in multiple roles,” Webster said.

The backline coach pushed the All-Australian case for key defender Aliir Aliir, who made the side in 2021.

Aliir leads the AFL for most intercept marks this year and ranks third for intercept possessions.

Port is third for fewest points conceded.

“He performs week in, week out and, not having Sav (the injured Esava Ratugolea) much this year, we’ve given him the number one key forward each week,” Webster said.

“Some of those guys have kicked goals on him, but he’s still having great impact in the air.”

Webster said it had been a challenging year for fellow key defender Brandon Zerk-Thatcher, who had played three AFL and 10 SANFL games, but the ex-Bomber had done a great job at “staying really level, finding his way into the team, and sticking to what he does”.

“I thought he was pretty solid for the majority of the game on the weekend, playing against probably the best key forwards in the comp,” he said.

“It’s been a grind for him having to spend a fair bit of time in the Maggies … but we’ve got to keep giving him opportunities to keep performing and improving.”

Superstar Zak Butters is back at Alberton to start his rehabilitation after his ankle syndesmosis repair.

The vice-captain is expected to be sidelined for up to five weeks, leaving him in a race against time to play again in 2026 with five rounds remaining.

Wingman Jack Lukosius is a fortnight away from resuming from his burst Baker’s cyst – a fluid-filled lump behind the knee that causes tightness.