The ABC has defended a Race Around the World episode which called for graphic violence against Hancock Prospecting boss Gina Rinehart.

The short film, which aired on the taxpayer-funded broadcaster earlier this month, featured remarks about a “revolution” before describing an attack on the billionaire businesswoman in explicit terms.

The four-minute film, titled “A Very Relaxing Video”, was created by Race Around the World contestant Kate McGuinness while filming in Scotland.

The segment included a sexually violent reference to Australia’s richest woman.

“Because when the revolution comes, will you hide under the bed? Or will you know exactly how to shove a stick right up Gina Rinehart’s butthole,” the film said. 

“Stirring it around, mixing her guts up nice and smooth, making her into one big sausage roll to make something out of nothing.”

When approached for comment, an ABC spokesperson told SkyNews.com.au the film was “intended to be satirical” and therefore “editorially justifiable”.

“Race Around the World features films created by amateur filmmakers, whose contributions reflect their own viewpoints and creative treatments,” they said on Friday.

“While contributors are not ABC journalists, all content broadcast by the ABC is subject to the ABC’s editorial standards, policies, and review processes.

“In this case, the film was intended to be satirical in tone and considered to be editorially justifiable within the context of the program.

“We recognise that audiences may respond differently to creative content and hold a range of views about how it is presented.

“One of the judges critiqued the film during their assessment, and that feedback was included in the program.”

On Monday, Sky News host Andrew Bolt questioned why the ABC allowed the segment to air and has accused the broadcaster of failing to act after the broadcast.

“That obscene and vicious rant, that pornographic vision of violence, which the ABC must have seen in advance … that went to air,” he said.

“The ABC still chose to show it.”

He argued the segment was inconsistent with the ABC’s own standards.

The code says content should be created in a way that is respectful towards audiences and mindful of community standards around harm and offence.

The ABC has not removed the segment from its platforms.