A man has died after becoming unresponsive while being arrested outside a pub in the Adelaide CBD.
Police were called to a laneway at West Terrace shortly after 4.15pm on Thursday after a 23-year-old Indigenous man was reported acting in a “disorderly manner”.
The man was also reportedly damaging vehicles between the Elephant and Castle and Lexus showroom.
Addressing the media on Friday, South Australia Police assistant commissioner Ian Parrott said police had received a number of calls of the man allegedly fighting with another man, damaging cars and may be armed with a knife.
He said when police arrived the man was allegedly “armed with a piece of wood or stick” and resisted arrest when approached.
“During the arrest he threatened to stab the police officers and he attempted to bite them on numerous occasions as well,” he said.
In a matter of minutes the man lost consciousness, with police and ambulance personnel rendering first aid.
“Tragically we were not able to revive this person who died at the scene,” assistant commissioner Parrott said.
He said the man’s family had been notified.
“It’s unimaginable grief for the family and our condolences certainly do go out to the family,” he said.
The officer told media three investigations were underway — a coronial probe, a police commissioner’s inquiry and an ethical professional standards branch probe.
Assistant commissioner Parrott said the police commissioner’s inquiry would review policies, procedures and equipment while the professional standards investigation would look into the conduct of police members at the scene.
A worker from the Elephant and Castle told The Advertiser they saw a man walking around the building with something in his hand, prompting them to call the police.
A report will be prepared for the coroner.
The man’s death will be the subject of a police commissioner’s inquiry.
Read related topics:Adelaide