Hancock Prospecting has called for a public apology from the ABC over a controversial Race Around the World segment that graphically depicted violence against company boss Gina Rinehart. 

The company has accused the taxpayer-funded broadcaster of “encouraging and normalising violence and murder” by continuing to broadcast and distribute the segment after it aired earlier this month. 

The comments came after the ABC defended the episode, saying the short film was “intended to be satirical” and was “editorially justifiable”. 

Hancock Prospecting said the program had crossed a line and questioned whether the content was consistent with the ABC’s editorial responsibilities. 

“This appalling material, presented by the taxpayer-funded ABC as ‘entertainment’, illustrated and graphically described Mrs Rinehart being sodomised and tortured in a manner that would kill her,” a Hancock Prospecting spokesperson said. 

“It is nothing short of disgusting that the ABC would encourage and normalise violence and murder by broadcasting, publishing and continuing to distribute this content.” 

The segment was part of the ABC’s Race Around the World series, which sends contestants overseas to create short films that are then judged by a panel. 

The four-minute film, titled “A Very Relaxing Video”, was created by contestant Kate McGuinness while filming in Scotland. 

The piece followed a character described as a “Scottish forest warrior ninja” who guided Ms McGuinness through relaxation exercises, nature activities and lessons involving sticks. 

But the tone shifted at the conclusion of the film when it included a reference to a “revolution” and a graphic description involving Ms Rinehart. 

“Because when the revolution comes, will you hide under the bed? Or will you know exactly how to shove a stick right up Gina Rinehart’s butthole,” the film said. 

“Stirring it around, mixing her guts up nice and smooth, making her into one big sausage roll to make something out of nothing.” 

The comments were broadcast in full during the ABC’s July 12 episode and remain available on the broadcaster’s platforms. 

Hancock Prospecting argued the segment could not be dismissed as an unscripted comment because it had gone through the ABC’s production process before airing. 

“This was not an unscripted live comment; it passed through production, editorial and broadcast processes,” the spokesperson said. 

“If the ABC believes it can hide behind the false shield of ‘satire’ to glorify sexualised and political violence and murder, then it has completely lost sight of its editorial responsibilities.

“Surely this is outside its Charter?

Andrew Bolt tears into the ABC’s obscene fantasy of violence against Gina Rinehart

“A public apology would be the minimum appropriate response, but more importantly, a light must be shone on who let this go to air in primetime, and action taken.” 

The ABC previously told SkyNews.com.au the segment was created by amateur filmmakers and reflected their own viewpoints and creative treatments. 

“Race Around the World features films created by amateur filmmakers, whose contributions reflect their own viewpoints and creative treatments,” an ABC spokesperson said. 

“While contributors are not ABC journalists, all content broadcast by the ABC is subject to the ABC’s editorial standards, policies, and review processes.” 

“In this case, the film was intended to be satirical in tone and considered to be editorially justifiable within the context of the program.” 

After the short film was played, it cut back to Race Around the World’s studio panel who were seen applauding the clip. 

The panel included John Safran, acclaimed director David Michod and ABC star presenter Leigh Sales. 

Michod praised McGuinness as a “really unique” artist before criticising the film, without any mention of the attack on Ms Rinehart. 

Sales, on the other hand, said she enjoyed it until the “cheap and nasty” dig at the Hancock Prospecting boss. 

“I really did quite like it, but then I had a bone to pick, which is that you shifted the tone from a film that was kind of universal … and then you backed it in with a very easy kind of nasty gag about Gina Rinehart,” she said during the broadcast. 

“So what you were saying to the viewer was, we’re only in this, together, unless you don’t share my politics.” 

Sky News host Andrew Bolt also criticised the ABC’s decision to air the segment, questioning why the broadcaster had not removed it. 

“That obscene and vicious rant, that pornographic vision of violence, which the ABC must have seen in advance … that went to air,” Mr Bolt said. 

“The ABC still chose to show it.” 

He argued the segment conflicted with the ABC’s own standards, which state content should be created in a way that is respectful towards audiences and mindful of community standards around harm and offence. 

The controversy came days after ABC chair Kim Williams rejected claims the broadcaster had a left-wing bias during an interview with Sky News. 

The ABC has not removed the episode from its platform.