Dozens of elite Victorian private and Catholic schools face fresh child sexual abuse allegations with some as recent as 2024.

The Herald Sun can reveal law firm Arnold Thomas and Becker is investigating claims on behalf of more than 600 former students from about 350 schools across all sectors.

The allegations span between 1950 to 2024 with more than 20 from 2000 to 2015.

The claims include 23 from Brighton Grammar School, 20 from former Christian Brother’s College, 15 from St Patrick’s College and 13 from Rosebud High.

It comes as one of Ben Carroll’s first jobs as premier will be to apologise to survivors in Parliament on Thursday.

Since the Herald Sun last reported on the firm’s investigations in June 2024, 135 new claims have been made.

These claims include schools like Loyola College, Kilbreda College, St Catherine’s Primary School, Glen Eira College, Holy Eucharist Primary School and Bacchus Marsh Secondary College.

Arnold Thomas and Becker lawyer Kim Price said he was “shocked” some allegations occurred in recent years.

“We’ve had people come forward telling us of abuse that has occurred this decade, with claims being investigated from as recently as 2024,” he said.

“Abuse in schools has not been limited to pockets of Victorian – it has been statewide, from regional schools, to suburban state schools, Catholic schools and elite private schools.”

Mr Price said a list – released last week by the state government naming more than 200 public schools linked to abuse – did not show the full extent of the issue.

“We continue to receive hundreds of calls each month,” he said.

“The more people hear of the experiences of others, or find out that there was a pedophile in their school, the more they speak out.

“Hearing about others gives them confidence that they will now be believed.”

George De Domenico, who was abused by his teacher at Westall High School between 1978 and 1979, told the Herald Sun he “lost his childhood”.

“The nightmares just don’t go away, they increase with severity,” he said.

“I’m haunted, I’ll never get over it and I’m ashamed at times that I’m on this earth for something that wasn’t meant to have happened.”

A Department of Education spokeswoman said: “No one should experience the devastating impacts of child sexual abuse. We are deeply sorry for the historical failings of the department and acknowledge the courage it has taken for victim-survivors to come forward.”

Independent Schools Victoria chief executive Rachel Holthouse said the safety and wellbeing of children was its “highest priority”.

“We recognise that reports of historical child sexual abuse are deeply distressing, and our. thoughts are with anyone who has experienced harm,” she said

“Child safety expectations have changed significantly since the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse, and schools now operate under a much stronger regulatory framework, including mandatory Child Safe Standards.

“Independent Schools Victoria supports member schools in meeting these obligations and remains committed to fostering safe environments for every student.”

A Melbourne Archdiocese Catholic Schools spokeswoman added: “We acknowledge the immense bravery of those who have and continue to come forward. We have clear policies and procedures in place to ensure all reports of abuse and misconduct are taken extremely seriously and thoroughly investigated.”

Meanwhile, Mr Carroll is set to apologise to child sexual abuse survivors on behalf of the schools he represents on Thursday.

Mr Kim said the apology “does not cover the lifelong costs of trauma”.

“This needs to be supported by fair financial compensation, psychological care and other medical support,” he said.

Bravehearts chief executive Alison Geale said the apology was an “important and necessary act of recognition and accountability”.

“The powerful truth telling by victim-survivors reinforces that institutional cultures, poor oversight, and a lack of accountability can create environments where abuse remains hidden for years,” she said.

“Victim-survivors have consistently sought more than an acknowledgment of the past; they want assurance that the conditions which enabled abuse cannot be repeated.”