Teen car thieves and carjackers would face longer sentences under a Coalition plan to dramatically expand its “adult time for adult crime” crackdown.

The Liberals’ first big policy move since Labor’s changing of the guard saw Ben Carroll oust Jacinta Allan as premier will double down on law and order – an area they see as their major strength against the state government’s poor record on crime.

In a blitz on crime ahead of November’s election, Opposition Leader Jess Wilson will on Friday pledge to add a string of new offences – including theft of a motor vehicle, attempted carjacking, violent disorder and reckless conduct endangering life – to those already covered by the “adult time” reform.

The move could affect hundreds of the state’s most prolific young thugs with latest crime statistic data showing teens were behind more than half of all carjackings.

It would also target a group of 20 teen offenders charged with stealing 396 cars last year.

It comes amid calls for major bail and sentencing reform with former Victims of Crime Commissioner Greg Davies saying only drastic changes would curb the state’s lawlessness.

Mr Davies said fire bombings, car thefts, home invasions and machete crime were at such levels that Victoria needed mandatory sentencing and no second chances for those on bail.

The former policeman and ex-secretary of the Police Association, said the state had become a crime-ridden jurisdiction, to the frustration of victims, police and many magistrates.

“Nowhere else in our wonderful country do we see regular fire bombings. From synagogues to tobacconists, entertainment venues, homes, cars. Outside war zones, no such conduct is so regularly witnessed,” he said.

“Gangs of young Victorian men, youths, young women, even children contribute significantly to the thefts of more cars than every other state and territory in the country combined,” he said.

Under an Allan government “adult time for violent crime” initiative that came into effect in February, maximum sentences of life for aggravated home invasions and aggravated car jackings, a 25-year maximum for intentionally causing serious injury in circumstances of gross violence, and 20 years for the lesser offence of recklessly causing serious injury in circumstances of gross violence now apply to youth criminals.

Other crimes of home invasions and carjackings that don’t include weapons, aggravated burglary or armed robberies, also carry harsher penalties by being uplifted from the Children’s Court to the County Court, where longer jail terms can be imposed.

The Coalition plan would bring to 17 the number of offences added to the state’s “adult time for violent crime” laws.

Twelve, including murder, manslaughter, rape, attempted murder, arson, drug trafficking, robbery and burglary, already pledged under an earlier commitment.

Coalition sources said they hoped doubling down on the law-and-order pitch would ensure the issue was central in the lead up to the state election.

Shadow Attorney-General James Newbury said under Labor too many young offenders were getting away with a slap on the wrist.

“Under Labor, serious youth offenders are getting off because they only half finish their crime and despite a record number of car thefts, youth criminals are being treated with kid gloves,” he said.

“A Liberal and Nationals government will ensure youth offenders who commit these crimes are treated like adults — because if you commit an adult crime, you should do adult time.

“Unlike Labor’s weak laws, our plan means that for 25 serious crimes, there will be no more excuses and offenders will receive the punishment they deserve.”

In May, Attorney-General Sonya Kilkenny ordered a $3m review of Victoria’s Sentencing Act saying it was no longer suitable.

That followed internal polling that showed crime remained the top concern of voters ahead of the election.

Sources said then-premier Ms Allan was unable to push a swag of tough measures through Cabinet because of pushback from her Socialist Left faction.

The Coalition commitment follows the announcement of policies to recruit 3000 additional police, roll out 200 new protective service officers, reopen more than 40 police stations and restore PSOs to train stations.

Since becoming Premier on Tuesday, Mr Carroll has repeatedly vowed to crackdown on crime while conceding more needs to be done.

On his first day in the job he met with chief commissioner Mike Bush to reiterate his commitment to provide Victoria Police with the funding and resources it needed to stamp out crime.