Two people are in a serious condition after a building collapse in Sydney’s inner city, which sent debris crashing onto nearby vehicles.

Part of a building gave way beside a Shell service station on Wattle St, Ultimo about 11am on Monday.

A wall came down on top of some vehicles, a Fire and Rescue NSW spokesman said.

Paramedics assessed seven people at the scene, with two taken to hospital in a serious condition.

Shocking images from the scene show a large section of the building folded inwards as the retaining wall collapsed, with bricks and debris covering the rear half of a Modus Projects ute.

A second Modus Projects ute parked nearby appears to have been hit by a smaller number of bricks.

Modus Projects is an independently owned company that works across facilities maintenance, building, project management and fit-outs.

It is unclear whether the injured people are connected to the company.

Authorities have secured the area and the service station has been closed.

“The service station’s been shut down as a precaution at this stage, and the buildings around have been evacuated,” the spokesman said.

There were no immediate reports of anyone missing, though crews were still working to ensure everybody had been accounted for.

Police and firefighters are working to stabilise the site and are expected to remain there for some time.

More to come

Originally published as Two injured after partial building and wall collapse in Ultimo, Sydney