Two people are in a serious condition after a building collapse in Sydney’s inner city, which sent debris crashing onto nearby vehicles.

Part of a building gave way beside a Shell service station on Wattle St, Ultimo about 11am on Monday.

A wall came down on top of some vehicles, a Fire and Rescue NSW spokesman said.

Paramedics assessed seven people at the scene, with two taken to hospital in a serious condition.

Shocking images from the scene show a large section of the building folded inward as the retaining wall collapsed, with bricks and debris covering the rear half of a Modus Projects ute.

A second Modus Projects ute parked nearby appears to have been hit by a smaller number of bricks.

“SafeWork NSW inspectors including specialist engineers and demolition experts are attending the site in response and have commenced enquiries into the incident,” a SafeWork NSW spokesman said.

“No workers were injured in the incident and all work on the site has ceased.

“As enquiries are ongoing, no further comment is available at this time.”

A Modus Projects spokesperson said the building that collapsed was not a site operated by Modus.

“We are undertaking works at a neighbouring property only,” the spokesperson said.

“No Modus employees or contractors were involved in the incident or injured as a result of the collapse.”

Sydney building collapses

A NSW Fire Department media officer described the collapse scene as “very dangerous”.
“It was chaotic at first … we worked to make sure that could bring some sort of safety to the situation.”

He said crews were continuing to monitor the area for potential hazards, including any electrical or gas risks.

Authorities have secured the area and the service station has been closed.

“The service station’s been shut down as a precaution at this stage, and the buildings around have been evacuated,” the spokesman said.

There were no immediate reports of anyone missing, though crews were still working to ensure everybody had been accounted for.

Police and firefighters are working to stabilise the site and are expected to remain there for some time.

Originally published as Two injured after partial building and wall collapse in Ultimo, Sydney