The former rugby league player who dropped a bomb on this week’s Senate inquiry into gambling advertising by condemning the behaviour of the industry’s account managers failed to disclose he worked in the profession himself.
Retired league star Luke Bateman created headlines at Monday’s Senate probe into the federal government’s sweeping gambling advertising reform by declaring that gambling account managers had offered to procure him illicit drugs at the heights of his gambling addiction, Racenet reports.
“The week of the event, they’d sort of send you a message and be like, hey mate, you know, do you want any drugs on the weekend,” Bateman said during the inquiry.
“That obviously came with the expectation that then I would continue to gamble with their company specifically and nobody else.”
While noting the offers were not made in an “official” role by representatives of the wagering companies, Bateman suggested the alleged move was made to “strengthen friendships and bonds” with the account manager.
But in a shock twist following Bateman’s startling testimony, it can be revealed the one-time Canberra Raiders star was previously employed as a Business Development Manager himself post his retirement from football in 2020.
Bateman worked for the now defunct wagering brand Southern Cross Bet where in August 2020 he hosted a customer function for punters at Eagle Farm Racecourse, according to Racenet.
“What a great day for Southern Cross Bet and the latest member of our team, Luke Bateman,” a social post from the day read.
“Luke held our first customer function today at Eagle Farm racecourse and it was a great success.
“The former Canberra Raider did a fantastic job and looks better suited in this role (as an account manager) than tackling the likes of Jason Taumalolo.”
When contacted by Racenet about Bateman’s role with Southern Cross Bet, the brand’s former principal Mark Johnstone politely declined to comment.
The fact Bateman failed to declare his past role within the profession during Monday’s inquiry has been met with dismay by quarters of the industry.
Bateman went on to allege that he was invited to exclusive events hosted at a rental property on the Gold Coast where he took illicit drugs with senior gambling officials, including account managers, from an undisclosed betting operator.
“This is like the CEO, the founders, the VIP managers and you know at that stage I would have been 23 years of age,” Bateman said.
That led to ACT independent Senator David Pocock asking Bateman if account managers working on commission were aware of the behaviour.
“Not only did they know, they were participating in it.”