The rug was pulled out from under the North Adelaide Golf Course redevelopment at precisely the wrong time for the Premier.

Just as he was locked into the controversial felling of trees for the $45m Greg Norman-designed course, Saudi Arabia’s investment fund in April announced it would withdraw its billion-dollar support for LIV at the end of the 2026 season.

With LIV’s future in doubt, the rationale for the golf course upgrade was evaporating. Then Australian Open hosting rights were announced and the Adelaide City Council’s previous support for the upgrade was referenced repeatedly by the Premier and his ministers.

Whatever people’s views about the tree axing, the expenditure on the golf course development deserves continued scrutiny about the value for taxpayer funds, particularly if LIV falls over.

This is because the upgrade was born from the promise of the star-studded LIV Golf tournament showcasing Adelaide to the globe, plus attracting well-heeled golf fans to the heart of the city.

The Australian Open hosting rights, however worthy, simply lack the same razzamatazz and pulling power.

The redeveloped North Adelaide course is not slated to host LIV events until 2028 – if the “LIV 2.0” that was pitched to investors lasts that long.

The 2027 Australian LIV tournament will be held at Kooyonga in March – it’s an open question whether the show will ever hit North Adelaide.

LIV boss Scott O’Neil announced on Thursday morning (ACST) that he had signed a term sheet with an anchor investor to revive the league and ensure its most successful event, in Adelaide, continues for at least another year.

The deal is expected to be finalised next month, but it is unclear whether the LIV, and the Adelaide flagship event, will continue into 2028.

The New York Post, which broke news of the imminent deal on July 29, reported then that Mr O’Neill had secured between $350m and $425m “to keep the tour alive into 2027 and beyond”.

According to the Post’s sources, LIV had received “multiple written commitments from blue-chip investment firms that would serve as anchor investors to support the league” going forward with LIV 2.0.

These sources said LIV had also attracted interest from additional investors looking to participate alongside these “anchor” investors.

Mr Malinauskas, who had breakfast with Mr O’Neil in New York on Sunday morning during his United States trip, will be desperately hoping that these investors plough in sufficient money to keep the Adelaide event going for some years.

The people protesting at tree axing in the parklands have mounted a prominent campaign, backed by Lord Mayor Jane Lomax-Smith.

She stood alongside the Premier in February, 2025, when he announced LIV would continue in Adelaide until 2028, with an option to continue at North Adelaide until 2028.

Then Dr Lomax-Smith said the council knew the North Adelaide course needed “a major upgrade” and work had been put into planning, but this had been “put on the backburner because, essentially, of the cost”.

Then, she said the North Adelaide upgrade was an opportunity for “a win-win” but this May she issued a statement retracting support, saying the government had failed to collaborate with the council and act in good faith, as promised.

The parklands campaign has gained traction, with some eloquent and well-intentioned people involved.

Given the next state election is not until March, 2030, Mr Malinauskas will be wary but not deeply troubled by ongoing protests.

But his headache will intensify significantly if $50m has been spent upgrading North Adelaide during a cost-of-living crisis and LIV Golf flounders.

AFL Gather Round has mass appeal in a footy-mad state. Compared to that, golf is a niche sport for the well-heeled.

Paul StarickPaul StarickEditor at large

Paul Starick is The Advertiser’s editor at large, with more than 30 years’ experience in Adelaide, Canberra and New York. Paul has a focus on politics and an intense personal interest in sport, particularly footy and cricket.

Read related topics:Peter Malinauskas