Socceroos winger Awer Mabil is returning to the A-League to join Melbourne City after an 11-year stint in Europe.
Mabil, who was a member of Australia’s squad at the recent FIFA World Cup, has signed a three-year deal with City after parting ways with Spanish second division outfit CD Castellon.
The 30-year-old winger hasn’t played in the A-League since making the final of his 52 appearances in all competitions for Adelaide United in May 2015.
Two months later, Mabil parted ways with the Reds to join Danish club Midtjylland.
The following year he was loaned out to another Danish team, Esbjerg, and had subsequent spells with Pacos de Ferreira (Portugal), Kasımpasa (Turkey), Cadiz (Spain), Sparta Prague (Czech Republic) and Grasshoppers (Switzerland) before his move to Castellon in February last year.
“After spending more than a decade playing in Europe, I’m really excited to be coming home
to Australia and beginning this new journey with Melbourne City,” Mabil said.
“Following Australian football from afar in recent years, it’s impossible not to be impressed
by what Melbourne City has built.
“The ambition, the standards and the success the club has achieved made this an opportunity I really wanted to be part of.”
City director of football Michael Petrillo said signing a player of Mabil’s “calibre” was a “significant moment” for the club.
“Awer is one of Australia’s most accomplished footballers and we’re incredibly excited to
welcome him to Melbourne City,” Petrillo said.
“Awer’s quality on the pitch speaks for itself, but just as importantly he’s an outstanding
person who has consistently made a positive impact away from football through his work in
the community.
“He’s exactly the type of person we want representing Melbourne City.”
Mabil was named the 2023 Young Australian of the Year after co-founding the not-for-profit Barefoot to Boots, a charity that helps improve health, education and gender equality among refugees.
He is expected to arrive in Melbourne next week, meaning he won’t play in City’s trial against Italian club Palermo on Friday night in Perth.
Mabil also won’t be available for City’s round-of-16 Australia Cup clash against Lions FC in Brisbane on Tuesday night.
Meanwhile, Brisbane Roar has welcomed the return of former captain and veteran defender Tom Aldred to the club.
Aldred, who turns 36 next month, has signed a one-season deal with the Roar following two years with Indian Super League club Mohun Bagan.
“When the opportunity came up to return to the Roar, the decision was an easy one,” said Aldred, who spent five years with Brisbane between 2019 and 2024.
“My family loved living in Brisbane, and it was a privilege to wear the orange shirt for as long as I did.”.
In other transfer market news, Socceroos midfielder Jackson Irvine has left German second division club St. Pauli to join Japanese top-flight outfit Cerezo Osaka.
“I’m incredibly excited to be coming to the hottest football nation in the world and joining a new league and a club with huge potential,” 33-year-old Irvine said.
Read related topics:Melbourne