A man is fighting for life following a violent attack in South Yarra overnight.
The man was found on the street just after midnight with serious head wounds.
When emergency services arrived at the scene on Malvern Rd – near the corner of Francis St – about 12.20am on August 9, they discovered the male victim had also been stabbed.
He was taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries.
CCTV footage shows cars honking and braking as the man clutches his head and stumbles across Malvern Rd before falling to the ground on the sidewalk – about 100m from the Prahran police station.
The man, wearing light trousers and a dark jacket, can then be seen trying to wave down passing cars for help, with police arriving moments later.
Officers can be seen attending to the man, while detectives place evidence markers on the road where a trail of blood had been left.
Adam Brierley, who works at a cafe near where the man was found, said the scene was “pretty gory”.
“I mean, (the offenders) obviously took a big chunk out of the guy, but hopefully he’s OK,” he said.
Anyone who witnessed the incident, has CCTV/dashcam footage or information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or anonymously at www.crimestoppersvic.com.au