Israeli influencer Max Ilinsky has announced he will be flown to Australia and escorted by police to a Sydney courtroom to testify against two former nurses who allegedly threatened to kill Israeli patients.

Mr Ilinsky – known online as Max Veifer – made global headlines last year after he recorded Bankstown nurses Sarah Abu Lebdeh and Ahmad Rashad Nadir allegedly threatening violence against Israeli patients at Bankstown Hospital.

In the video, Mr Nadir allegedly suggested he had sent Israeli patients to “hell” while Ms Abu Lebdeh allegedly claimed she would “kill” Israelis rather than treat them.

On Sunday morning, he revealed his plan to travel to Sydney and give evidence at the nurses’ criminal trial, set to begin on August 31.

In a video shared on social media, the Israeli announced he would be “flying across the world to walk into an Australian courtroom and testify as a witness for the prosecution”.

“Millions of people saw (the video) and now I have officially been called to Australia to testify in person,” he said

“I’ll be there for almost a full week. The Australian authorities are covering my flights, hotels, meals, police transport and police presence at the court, and I’m truly grateful for that.”

Despite revealing he would be escorted to and from the courtroom by police, Mr Ilinsky said he was concerned about his safety and asked the Jewish community for help.

“I’m going to be completely honest with you, I’m still worried about my safety. Over the past year, I’ve received many threats because of my public work. People know my face, people know my name,” he said.

“And after everything that has happened recently in Australia and with antisemitism rising around the world and in Australia, I’m not taking any chances. We Jews have survived for thousands of years. We learned how to protect ourselves, protect each other and never take our safety for granted. So I’m going to do exactly that,” he said.

“I want to be as protected as possible from the moment I land, until the moment I leave. For any time not covered by the official security arrangements, I want extra licensed security with me. And that’s why today I’m asking for your help.

“The Jewish community in Australia, I need you. I need this video to reach Jewish community leaders, recognised Jewish organisations, community security groups, and licensed security companies that can help arrange extra protection. Everything must be professional. Everything must be licensed. Everything must be co-ordinated with the NSW Police … help me go there safely and come home safely.”

Mr Ilinsky concluded the video by reaffirming his commitment to testifying against the nurses.

“At the end of this month, I’m getting on that plane, I’m going to Australia, I’m walking into the courtroom, and I’m going to do exactly what I’ve been asked to do: answer every question honestly,” he said.

“All I want is for the truth to be heard and for justice to be done. The court will decide the rest. Let’s go in peace and come home in peace. See you in Australia. Am Israel chai (which means the people of Israel live).”

Mr Ilinsky’s announcement came less than two weeks after the NSW Supreme Court overturned a Local Court judge’s decision to exclude the video from evidence. Judge Judge Michael McHugh SC in June declared the viral clip was inadmissable and could not form part of the evidence against the nurses, as it was unlawful for Mr Ilinsky to have recorded and shared the private conversation.

Lawyers question key video evidence in Bankstown nurses case

Two weeks after the controversial decision was handed down, the Commonwealth Department of Public Prosecutions lodged an appeal with the NSW Court of Criminal Appeal to overturn it.

On July 31, Supreme Court judges Anthony Payne and James Emmett and Chief Judge at Common Law Natalie Adams granted the prosecution’s appeal, overturning Judge McHugh’s decision to rule the video out of evidence.

With the video reintroduced into evidence, the prosecution will be able to use both the footage and Mr Ilinsky’s testimony in their case against the nurses when their trial begins on August 31.

The former Bankstown Hospital nurses have both pleaded not guilty to using a carriage ­service to menace, harass or offend, and Ms Abu Lebdeh has pleaded not guilty to an ­additional charge of threatening violence to a group.

They have been stood down from their jobs by NSW Health and issued a two-year ban from working with NDIS participants.

Bimini Plesser

Bimini Plesser is a reporter for The Australian’s Sydney bureau. She previously worked as a cadet, writing for The Courier-Mail, The Australian’s Brisbane bureau and the Sunshine Coast Daily. Bimini holds a Bachelor of Journalism from the University of Queensland. She can be contacted at bimini.plesser@news.com.au.