NFL legend Joe Montana has pulled the pin on his Melbourne tour citing “unforeseen personal circumstances’’.

San Francisco 49ers great Montana, 70, was set to visit Victoria for two public speaking events in the lead up to a historic first NFL match at the MCG on September 13.

In an exclusive interview with the Herald Sun just two weeks ago, Montana declared: “I love coming to Australia”.

He said he was looking forward to returning down under for the first time in years and was excited to see an NFL match played for championship points at Australia’s greatest stadium. “We’re just going to talk about my history in the NFL and football and what I expect about the game coming up,” he said.

“There was only one (show) and then all of a sudden there was enough excitement so they added another thing in the evening.

“And, so yeah, I’m looking forward to talking about the game and about strategy and whatever people want to know about American football at this time.”

But Montana’s management on Wednesday confirmed his Aussie tour was over before it began, with one of the NFL’s most revered figures now unable to make the flight from his San Francisco home to Melbourne.

“Due to unforeseen personal circumstances beyond his control, Joe Montana is unable to travel to Australia for his scheduled Melbourne appearances,’’ a statement said.

“As a result, A Day Out with Joe Montana and An Evening with Joe Montana will be cancelled.

“Joe is extremely disappointed that he is unable to make the trip and sends his sincere apologies to Australian fans who were looking forward to seeing him in Melbourne.’’

It was not known on Thursday exactly why 70-year-old Montana had to cancel the trip at late notice.

One of the greatest quarterbacks of all time, Montana won the Super Bowl four times and was MVP in three of those matches and was a two-time NFL MVP in 16 seasons.

“Joe Cool” was meant to be sharing stories of his playing days, takes on the modern game and thoughts on the MCG 49ers-Rams clash at lunch and dinner shows booked for the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre on September 10.

The shows had previously been booked for Crown Palladium but were moved when another NFL lunch took over the venue.

All ticket holders will receive a full refund via their original method of payment.