A Brisbane dad was allegedly attacked with a crowbar by a teenager after he kicked gatecrashers out of his son’s 18th birthday party overnight.
The Enoggera man said his son’s birthday party, which was an event registered with Party Safe, was winding down when a group of uninvited people arrived just before midnight on Friday.
A 16-year-old Springfield boy was arrested at the scene and charged with assault occasioning bodily harm while armed with an offensive instrument.
He will face Brisbane Children’s Court on August 21.
“It was towards the end of the night, everyone was out by 12am, and these kids came in that we didn’t know,” the dad told The Courier-Mail.
“So I got up and pointed at him said ‘get out! this is not your party’.
“He helped himself to a few drinks, filled his pockets up, pushed and shoved getting out, and then he slapped a couple of boys outside, a couple of party goers, and they all chased after him.
“Then he decided to come back and single me out as the host and come at me with the crowbar – this is not on.”
The man was forced to defend himself when he was allegedly attacked with the crowbar and suffered a wrist injury.
“I just blocked the crowbar coming towards me,” he said.
The man blasted the 16-year-old for going around carrying a crowbar.
“You just don’t carry crowbars around with you, there’s intention there,” he said.
“I just said to him ‘you really want this to happen, you’re really sure what you’re doing man’.
“It’s out of control.”
After being told that the boy had been released on bail, the man went onto slam the state government for its handling of the youth crime crisis.
“The person was dealt with by police, but then let out,” he said.
“They called us last night and said he’d been let out on bail and told not to come back here.
“When the Premier’s words are ‘Adult Crime, Adult Time,’ it’s not really happening.
“If someone comes into your house with a crowbar, what do you do?”
His son said it was a great party prior to the gatecrashers arriving.
“It was a good 18th birthday party, spending all the time with my mates, having a good time, and some blokes just rocked up about 12am threatening people and stealing people’s drinks,” he said.
“We kicked them out and then the fight happened outside my house and then got jumped, crowbars were used, and then the cops came.”
The wild moment was captured on the house’s front-door camera.
In the vision, the homeowner can be seen standing on his driveway before the 16-year-old boy chases him down and appears to swing a crowbar at him.
Paramedics assessed the father at the scene and treated him for a non-life threatening wrist injury.
An 18-year-old man who suffered a hand injury was taken to the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital.