Billy Slater’s decision to quit his role as Queensland coach won’t affect his role at the Melbourne Storm next year, but what happens beyond 2027 remains up in the air with the legendary fullback regarded as one of the best options to replace Craig Bellamy when he eventually retires.
The QRL confirmed on Friday afternoon that the 43-year-old had stepped down after five series in charge, with Slater’s Maroons going down in the decider at Suncorp Stadium last month.
He won three series as coach and played 31 games for his beloved Maroons who now need to find someone to lead the state against the Blues who will have rookie Matt King at the helm next year.
Cameron Smith, Matt Ballin and Johnathan Thurston are the obvious candidates to replace Slater who has been heavily linked with a permanent move to the Storm to eventually replace Bellamy who is expected to retire next year.
But at this stage he won’t be joining their full-time coaching ranks in 2027, with Slater likely to go down as an Immortal after changing the fullback role with a Storm record 190 tries.
“At this point, Billy will continue next year supporting our football program in his part-time specialist coaching role,” Storm chief executive Justin Rodski told the NewsWire.
“We haven’t had any discussions with Billy beyond that.
“Billy is a high-quality, high-calibre, respected champion of the Melbourne Storm and also as a person in rugby league.
“If there’s an opportunity at the right time to sit down and have a discussion with Bill about what the future looks like beyond 2027, we would absolutely do that.
“But in 2027 Craig Bellamy will coach his 26th season as our senior coach, and we’re really looking forward to having Craig continue in his role.
“Billy does an outstanding job supporting our coaching team and our football department program with the role he plays in a part-time basis. At this point, we can’t see that changing in the near future.”
Slater has played a key role in the development of fullback Sua Faalogo who has been outstanding in an otherwise difficult year for the Storm who have had to deal with a series of long-term injuries to star players, as well as Bellamy’s health concerns.
“He’s been enormous. His contribution is so valued at our club,” Rodski said of Slater’s work with the livewire fullback.
“Whether it’s working closely with Sua Faalogo or our other young fullbacks, or whether it’s his presence around the club and his mentorship of our leadership group, just having him around the place gives everyone a lift.
“We value the role that he plays enormously, and we’re very lucky to have him involved with our club.”
Queensland try-scoring machine Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow found out about Slater’s departure online just before the Dolphins played the Sea Eagles.
He’s excited to see who gets the job and said that the current crop of Maroons assistants are “special”.
“It’s obviously sad for the state. He is a wonderful coach and all the boys loved him. Just the way he coaches and sees the game, it’s unreal,” he said.
“Obviously it’s pretty sad for us boys, but we’re behind him and whatever decision he has made. I want to wish him all the best. He is a wonderful fella, good bloke and a great coach as well.
“It was weird, I wanted him to stay. Just what he’s done over the past five years, being around the boys and getting us up to play for our state and family. It is pretty special with what he does and how he does it.”