Andrew Johns has labelled the Brisbane Broncos’ defence in their heavy defeat to the New Zealand Warriors “disgusting” in a stinging criticism of the reigning premiers.
The Warriors demolished the Broncos 40-6 at Suncorp Stadium to reinforce their status as premiership contenders with a demolition job against Brisbane in their own backyard.
Watch every game of every round of the NRL Premiership LIVE with no ad-breaks during play on FOX LEAGUE, available on Kayo Sports | New to Kayo? Join now and get your first month for just $1.
After Reece Walsh went off with an ankle injury, the Broncos never looked competitive as the Warriors piled on seven tries to move within 10 for-and-against points of Penrith on the ladder.
Their second try came when Chanel Haris-Tavita shimmed, stepped and waltzed his way through Brisbane’s defence to score, weaving past at least five Broncos players who could have tackled him.
“The Chanel Harris-Tavita try was absolutely disgusting,” an unimpressed Johns said on Nine’s Sunday Footy Show.
“The way they didn’t tie in on the inside, it was horrible. That showed that they don’t care.
“They couldn’t care less. They don’t care if they win or lose at the moment.”
Broncos five-eighth Ezra Mam had seven missed tackles against the Warriors and was exposed defensively when Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad got past him with a straightforward dummy.
Brisbane is sit second last on the NRL ladder with six wins and 15 losses and the end of the season can’t come quick enough after a massive drop in form after last year’s sensational run to the premiership.
Coach Michael Maguire finally had enough of his footy side after weeks of defending losing efforts, storming out of his press conference, while Pat Carrigan said the Broncos lacked “desire”.
Despite winning just one of their past 11 heading into the game, Maguire had continuously driven a narrative that his players were putting in their full effort.
But after they allowed the Warriors to run in seven tries on their home ground, the Broncos coach let his players have it in the post-match press conference.
“Not good enough, just plain and simple. We won’t want to do that next weekend because we’ll cop the same. It was really disappointing, that one. We’re not playing the style that we know we’ve practised,” he said.
Carrigan was then asked by a reporter if it was hard to stay motivated knowing the team was out of finals contention, but the Brisbane skipper didn’t have time to answer before Maguire intervened.
“I reckon that’s garbage. We’re playing the team next week (Canberra) that’s in the same boat. We’re playing for the Broncos,” Maguire said.
“It’s easy to motivate people when you’re playing for the Broncos. They’re playing for a very good club.
“The boys are playing for the Broncos jersey that they wear. That is not good enough. I normally keep calm at these things. We need to have a good hard look at ourselves.”
“It’s stupidity on both sides of the ball,” Broncos stand-in captain Pat Carrigan said.
“A lack of desire and intent to do your job.
“It’s not good enough from us as players.
“We got out-competed which is disappointing.”
With the Dragons beating the Wests Tigers on Sunday, there is still the possibility the Broncos could claim the wooden spoon.
The Broncos confirmed Reece Walsh would undergo surgery on a syndesmosis injury with a recovery timeline of around eight weeks, putting him in doubt for the Kangaroos’ World Cup campaign starting in October.
Read related topics:Brisbane