NSW Police have charged 732 people during a three-day domestic violence crackdown across eastern Australia, in what authorities have described as a “stark and confronting” reminder of the scale of household violence.
The fourteenth Operation Amarok ran from August 14 to August 16, and for the first time, was conducted jointly with Australian Capital Territory (ACT) Policing and the Australian Federal Police.
The intelligence-led, offender-focused operation has resulted in 9,000 alleged domestic violence offenders being charged in NSW since it began in 2023.
Led by the Domestic and Family Violence Command, the latest operation involved general duties officers, specialist crime squads and transport police.
Police executed 228 arrest warrants and laid 1,589 charges over the three days.
Officers also conducted 1,497 bail compliance checks and 12,054 apprehended domestic violence order compliance checks, identifying 546 breaches.
Minister for Police and Counter-terrorism Yasmin Catley said the results were a “stark and confronting reminder of the scale of domestic violence across NSW”.
“These are the results police deliver when we back them with the resources and support to take the fight directly to offenders,” she said.
“These alleged offenders rely on fear and control; Amarok turns that pressure back onto them.”
A total of 118 firearms and 16 other weapons were seized from people who were prohibited from possessing them.
Minister for the Prevention of Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Jodie Harrison said the results were “sobering” but highlighted the importance of police forces working across state borders.
She said the joint operation had exposed how offenders could previously cross the border to evade police charges.
“With our Police now working with ACT Police in this recent operation, perpetrators can no longer escape by crossing the border,” Ms Harrison said.
Deputy Commissioner Regional NSW Field Operations Paul Pisanos said domestic and family violence can occur in any family or community.
“Police receive a domestic and family violence-related call every three minutes,” Deputy Commissioner Pisanos said.
“But domestic and family violence is not just a policing issue.
“It is a whole-of-society issue and while police play a role, we all need to work together to reduce the scourge.”
Police revealed arrests during the operation included people allegedly breaching apprehended domestic violence orders, stalking with an intention to cause fear or harm, common assault and sexual offences.
ACT Policing Detective Superintendent Kylie Lawson said the operations were an opportunity to put family violence offenders on notice.
“We take family violence seriously every day of the year but operations such as these allow us to pool our resources and information and target those people who have evaded police detection,” Detective Superintendent Lawson said.