Those bikies were escorted on to the Centenary Bridge site by the head of private security firm Host Group Gary Samuel, who had been hired by construction company BMD as a way to fight back against the militant CFMEU after years of aggression and disruption.

The CFMEU commission of inquiry also heard evidence from BMD general manager Rob Pickard that Transport and Main Roads had advised BMD to hire private security to deal with CFMEU disputes.

He said the state government had offered to help for this to happen after years of sustained harassment of workers at the Centenary Bridge site.

Mr Pickard told the inquiry that from December 2022: “BMD became the target of an extensive, sustained and highly disruptive campaign by the CFMEU” and that there was “a lack of willingness to help” from Workplace Health and Safety inspectors in dealing with CFMEU disputes.

Mr Pickard has denied knowledge of any links Host Group had to the Comanchero.

On June 5, 2024, after Host Group had been hired by BMD Mr Samuel escorted Comanchero members Bemir Saracevic and Krstomir Bjelogrlic as well as former Comanchero treasurer Mark Ahern to the Jindalee work site.

Mobile phone tower data tabled at the inquiry tracked all phone of all four men and shows Mr Samuel picking up the three other men at Brisbane Airport before taking them directly to the project site at Jindalee.

CCTV footage shown at the inquiry then track the group approaching the worksite of crane operator and CFMEU member Cody Raymond.

Mr Raymond then exited the site gates and a confrontation occurred.

In an incident report shown to the inquiry, Mr Raymond alleged that a man in a black shirt – believed to be Mr Saracevic – was attempting to intimidate him and questioning him about an altercation he had with Mr Samuel on May 30.

Mr Raymond alleged that the Mr Saracevic then told him: “I’ll f***ing burn your house down c**t and kill your kids, brother.

“I know where you live brother,” Mr Saracevic allegedly said.

Mr Raymond further alleged that Mr Saracevic told him that he was a Comanchero member and had travelled from Melbourne to “deal with” him and that “this is my (security) company”.

Asked what could have prompted the threat, Mr Raymond claimed he was told by Mr Samuel that it was because he was a CFMEU member and stood accused of sending the CFMEU information.

Mr Raymond reported the incident to Mr Pickard and BMD general manager of human resources Steve Thomas, who is due to give evidence to the inquiry this week.

Under questioning, Mr Pickard denied knowledge of the Comanchero visit until it was reported by Mr Raymond.

However CCTV footage showed he arrived shortly before the group and spoke to security staff posted outside of a gated walkway moments before Mr Raymond was allegedly threatened.

There were also several phone calls and text messages exchanged between Mr Pickard, Mr Thomas and Mr Samuel in the lead up to the Comancheros’ arrival.

Mr Pickard said he requested CCTV footage of the incident but found it occurred outside of the worksite gates.

He said he was also assured by Mr Samuel that the three men had no role whatsoever with the security business.

“Mr Samuel advised me that individuals who are social acquaintances of his from Victoria had visited him and they had spent time on the public pedestrian path,” Mr Pickard said.

Mr Samuel has not yet given evidence at the inquiry.

The inquiry heard Mr Raymond was offered 12 months’ of security protection outside of his house but did not accept it.

In April 2024, Mr Pickard had a meeting with Labor’s new transport minister Bart Mellish and TMR executives where BMD informed the government about the impacts of the campaign on the project and staff welfare.

“TMR advised BMD to implement enhanced security measures to minimise disruption and mitigate the impact on project staff,” Mr Pickard said.

“TMR also advised that it would reimburse security costs directly attributable to CFMEU-related disruption, provided those costs were legitimate, appropriately evidenced, and certified on a monthly basis.”

BMD hired up to 40 security guards to man gates at the Centenary Bridge site.

It is unclear how much taxpayer money was spent on hiring the security firm.

Mr Pickard continues giving evidence on Wednesday.