Senator Dave Sharma has warned the antisemitism Royal Commission risks failing to uncover the drivers of rising hatred unless key figures are called to give evidence.

The Royal Commission on Antisemitism and Social Cohesion entered its ninth and final block of public hearings this week, with Commissioner Virginia Bell due to deliver her final report by December 14.

Speaking to News24 host Chris Kenny on Tuesday, Senator Sharma said there had been “a number of omissions” from the commission’s witness list.

“That might not be so much of a concern if they had longer time to do their work. But the clock is ticking,” he said.

“We’re in the last block of witnesses that they’re hearing now.”

Senator Sharma said a “number of people”, such as hate preachers and anti-Israel protest organisers, should be called to “account for their actions” and questioned directly by the Royal Commission.

“I don’t think we can hope to get to the bottom of some of the drivers of this huge rise in antisemitism in Australia unless we hear from those people directly, unless the Royal Commission is able to question them directly,” he said.

His warning comes amid scrutiny of the witness list, with former treasurer Josh Frydenberg not called despite offering to give evidence.

Senator Sharma, a former Australian ambassador to Israel, said the inquiry was critical to examining the circumstances leading to the Bondi Beach terror attack.

“We fought long and hard for this Royal Commission to happen,” he said.

“Of course that should demand a forensic examination. Of course, that should command that some lessons be learnt.

“And the Royal Commission was intended to be the vehicle for that.”

Senator Sharma warned time constraints, or the absence of key witnesses could limit the commission’s ability to fully examine the issues.

“If the Royal Commission is not able to do that, for whatever reason, because the time is too short, because the right witnesses have not been heard, there really isn’t another vehicle to deal with this,” he said.

“And that’s why there is a lot riding on this, more than I think many other royal commissions in Australia’s history.”

It comes amid calls for Anthony Albanese, Tony Burke and Penny Wong to front the commission, while Commissioner Bell has indicated she will not seek an extension to the inquiry’s reporting deadline.

Commissioner Bell also recently rejected a bid to keep evidence relating to ASIO and counterterrorism funding secret from the inquiry.

Read related topics:antisemitismAnthony Albanese