A South Australian police cadet studying to become an officer at the force’s Adelaide academy has been charged with serious sex crimes involving an underage teenage boy.

In a scandal sources said had rocked the force, detectives last month arrested Laura Beatrice Richardson, 23, over an alleged unlawful sexual relationship with the youth this year.

Police allege the cadet, of Williamstown, 51km north east of Adelaide, had illegal sex in recent months with the unidentified teen in the outer northern suburbs.

In details not publicly released, the prospective officer has since been charged with two counts of unlawful sexual intercourse with an underage youth.

If convicted, she faces up to 15 years in jail.

The cadet, who is banned from work, was granted police bail.

She has been suspended on full taxpayer-funded pay, senior police revealed.

Northern Districts detectives allege the cadet, who was studying at the Fort Largs Police Academy, in Adelaide’s outer northwest, had illegal sex at least twice in June with a boy who was aged younger than 17.

Court records state police had alleged the alleged crimes occurred at Munno Para.

Currently in SA, a person must be aged 17 or older to consent to sexual activity.

Despite a police employee being charged, the force failed to announce details until The Advertiser’s questions unlike other cases, in which the public are proactively told.

It is understood a person close to the case contacted authorities, which sparked an investigation.

Police sources claimed electronic items, including mobile phones, were seized.

It is further claimed investigators uncovered separate drug allegations involving other cadets but a police spokesman said those claims were “without foundation”.

The cadet, who had not yet graduated, has yet to plead to charges of unlawful sexual intercourse with a person aged under 17.

She appeared in the Elizabeth Magistrates Court on July 20, records show.

She was remanded on continuing bail to reappear in the Adelaide Magistrates Court in October.

Under state law the teen’s identity is secret as alleged victims of a sexual offence are awarded lifetime anonymity.

In response to inquiries, a police spokesman revealed the cadet’s charges.

“A female police cadet has been charged with unlawful sexual intercourse following an investigation by Northern District police,” he said in a statement.

“The cadet has been suspended, with pay. As the matter is before the courts, no further comment will be made.”

He said there was no exemption required from Police Commissioner Grant Stevens – who is believed to have been briefed on the case – for publication.

The spokesman said the case did “not currently fall within the confidentiality provisions of the Police Complaints and Discipline Act”.

Mr Stevens, or a delegate, can only authorise disclosures under the controversial laws, which has come under fire for its secrecy provisions.

Asked about separate allegations involving other cadets, he replied: “The remainder of the allegations you have made relating to other trainees are without foundation.

“In relation to probity, every applicant is subject to a probity assessment process.

“When prior illicit drug use is identified or is admitted, it is assessed by the Probity Assessment Committee.”

The committee, usually three senior officers usually of superintendent rank, assess all new applicants, including criminal offending or any intelligence that suggests a police risk.

Asked to clarify “without foundation”, he replied: “We have no further clarification/statement for you.”

A woman at the family home said Ms Richardson was away but refused to comment further. Her lawyer, Stephen Ey, declined to comment.