With Spring almost here we’re hearing reports of billionaires and their superyachts with Queensland being a major destination in the peak cruising season.

One of the world’s richest men, Amazon founder, Jeff Bezos’ $700m 127m superyacht Koru has been spotted moored at Cairns Marlin Marina in Far North Queensland.

Bezos was in Sydney in July before he and his wife jetted off. Will they return and maybe venture down the Queensland coast? Who can guess with the rich and famous?

But what we do know is that Queensland’s richest man Clive Palmer, who made waves last year by parking his 56m superyacht Australia in a prime position on the Brisbane River to see the Riverfire, is expected to do the same for the start of the Brisbane Festival on September 5.

We hear Australia is currently at Marina Mirage and will sail up the coast in a couple of weeks.

Meanwhile Texan billionaire Toby Neugebaur’s 55m superyacht Purpose is moored in the Brisbane River near the Gateway Bridge.

But will we see more superyachts in the Brisbane River?

Back in 2021 Australia’s richest person Gina Rinehart implored the state government to ensure more marinas and facilities for superyachts as the 2032 Olympics approach.

And its big business. Industry group Superyacht Australia claims Bezos’ Koru is expected to contribute almost $2m to the local Cairns economy during its stay.

But it seems Brisbane is not prepared for the wave of mega superyachts.

Superyacht Australia CEO David Good says the owners and captains of 100m-plus yachts are already asking about Brisbane 2032.

“If we plan our infrastructure, permitting and marketing properly over the next six years, the Games can do for the Asia Pacific’s superyacht sector what the America’s Cup and major events have done for other host cities,” he says.

“If we don’t, that spend and those jobs will stay with the yachts in the Mediterranean and Caribbean.”

Pool pain

Anger is mounting over the closure of the indoor pool at QUT’s Kelvin Grove Sport, Fitness and Aquatic Centre at the end of the month.

Swimmers have collected more than 2500 signatures for its Change Org petition against its closure. And in another blow to swimmers the closure comes at the same time Centenary Pool in Spring Hill is closing its doors to be repurposed for the 2032 Olympics.

Pensioner Paul Hudson says he swims at the Kelvin Grove pool three or four days a week and reckons the late billionaire philanthropist Chuck Feeney – who donated millions to QUT – would be “shocked” if he knew what was happening.

QUT told City Beat earlier this year that at was an “ageing pool” and work will start in September on a new, purpose-designed facility that better integrates teaching spaces with expanded sport and exercise infrastructure. In other words it will not have a lap pool.

Hudson says he has written to QUT vice Chancellor Margaret Sheil.

“I want to get QUT to postpone the closing of the pool and do a complete review of all stakeholders. I’m still hopeful that Margaret Sheil may blink,” he says.

In a statement QUT says they understood that the closure of the pool will disppoint the community.

“QUT has subsidised it for 20 years and been glad to share it with the community, however this is no longer sustainable. Given costs and low usage, QUT cannot responsibly justify continuing to direct funding away from teaching, learning and research,” a spokesman says.

“QUT wrote to members in early June to provide advance notice of closure and the option to transfer to Gardens Point pool on the same terms at no extra cost, or vary, suspend or cancel their pool membership. The Kelvin Grove gym stays open.

“QUT executives have met FLOAT (Friends of Local Open Aquatic Training) members to hear their concerns and answer questions.”