Warning: This story contains details some readers may find distressing.
Shocking new details have emerged after a young woman was allegedly raped while on a morning walk in an area west of Brisbane.
Police allege the 23-year-old was walking towards the Brookfield Road bridge at Brookfield when she was sexually assaulted by a stranger about 6.30am on Thursday.
Later that afternoon, police found a 32-year-old man a short distance away on Moon Lane before taking him into custody.
Addressing the media on Friday, Queensland Police Detective Superintendent Andrew Massingham said the assailant came across the victim while on his way to work.
“He has no connection to Brookfield,” he told reporters.
“We will be alleging that at about 6.30 yesterday morning the man was on his way to work in another location.
“He attended the area near where the victim was walking. We will allege that he approached her from behind and dragged her into nearby bushes.
“We will allege that the assault occurred for some time and we’ll be alleging that he then drove from that location to work about 15 minutes from that location.”
Superintendent Massingham said the attacker then drove back past the alleged crime scene after he had finished work.
“We will then allege that when he completed work for the day, he drove back past the crime scene.
“These types of matters, we’re fairly familiar with offenders sometimes returning to the scene for different reasons.”
The alleged attacker was charged with six counts of rape and one count each of stalking, assault with intent to commit rape, assault occasioning bodily harm and deprivation of liberty.
The woman was taken to hospital following the alleged sexual assault.
Superintendent Massingham said the victim was on a walk with another family member when the alleged attack occurred.
“After the assault took place, we will allege that the 23-year-old victim was then required to cross a nearby creek to escape the area where she had been held against her will,” he added.
“She then traversed some bushland nearby, coming out at the Brookfield Showgrounds Oval where she placed a call to a close family member and then rang Triple Zero.
“What I can say is that she was on a walk with another family member and that other family member was some distance from her.”
Speaking at a press conference on Thursday, Superintendent Massingham said the incident had “shocked” the local community and wider Brisbane region.
“This poor young lady is traumatised as a result of what has occurred to her,” he said.
“We have a number of systems in place to look after her welfare.”
When asked about the woman’s ability to escape the alleged offender, Detective Superintendent Massingham described her as a “determined young lady who knew what was occurring to her was horrific”.
“She knew her help was some distance away, but she was very lucky to make it through an adjoining creek up towards the showgrounds at Brookfield, where she called for assistance.
“That assistance was provided very quickly to her.”
Police said detectives and specialist officers would remain deployed throughout the Brookfield area.
Local general duties officers will also be conducting increased patrols to ensure community safety.
The man is expected to appear before Brisbane Magistrates Court on Friday.
Inquiries into the incident are ongoing.
Read related topics:Police & Courts