Notorious organised criminals involved in shootings and firebombings will be put on further notice as tough new penalties are introduced by the NSW government.

The state government will introduce new legislation in state parliament on Tuesday to crack down on the use of “kill cars”, firebombings and public shootings linked to organised crime networks.

Under the changes, burning a vehicle that has been used to commit serious crimes such as drug trafficking and illicit tobacco offences would become a new aggravated offence and carry a maximum 12-year jail sentence. This is two years more than the current maximum penalty for damaging or destroying property by fire.

A new offence for arson targeting a business would also be introduced, with a maximum penalty of 14 years’ jail, while those who shoot a pistol or prohibited firearm in public would face the same penalty.

Attorney-General Michael Daley said the reforms would put “hardened criminals” on notice.

“These comprehensive reforms will help keep the community safe and hold organised criminals to account for the destruction and harm they inflict on our streets,” he said.

“We are cracking down on gangs who put the community at risk with public shootings and firebombings and tackling the use of stolen ‘kill cars’ to facilitate these crimes.”

The new laws also aim to prevent organised crime gangs recruiting children to carry out serious crimes. Recruiting a child for motor vehicle theft or organised crime activity would become an aggravated offence, with a maximum penalty of 15 years’ jail.

Courts would also need to consider an accused offender’s links to organised crime when deciding to grant bail and may halt such decisions for up to three days if the prosecution seeks an application to keep an accused in custody.

Police Minister Yasmin Catley said the changes meant police had more powers to take down organised crime than ever before.

“These laws make it clear that this behaviour is reprehensible, cowardly and will result in serious consequences,” she said.

“We do not want to see this violence on our streets, our community shouldn’t have to tolerate this.”

The crackdown comes after police responded to shootings and arson attacks in western Sydney last month.

In the early hours of April 18, gunfire was reported at a barber shop in Casula, while hours later a cafe in South Wentworthville was the subject of an alleged arson attack.

Gunshots were also fired in two separate incidents at homes in Merrylands and Guildford that same morning.

No one was injured, but police believed the incidents were linked to the Alameddine crime family.