{"id":18363,"date":"2026-05-25T23:16:09","date_gmt":"2026-05-25T23:16:09","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/18363\/"},"modified":"2026-05-25T23:16:09","modified_gmt":"2026-05-25T23:16:09","slug":"five-years-later-iconic-north-sydney-pool-gets-an-opening-date","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/18363\/","title":{"rendered":"Five years later iconic North Sydney pool gets an opening date"},"content":{"rendered":"<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">Five years after being closed for renovations and a cost blowout of more than $120 million, North Sydney&#8217;s iconic harbourside pool has been given an opening date.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">North Sydney&#8217;s mayor told 702 ABC Sydney the Olympic-sized swimming pool will open on Friday, August 7, marking the end of a closure that began on February 28, 2021.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">&#8220;The 50-metre pool is now, you know, no more concrete cancer, and the same for the grandstand,&#8221; Zo\u00eb Baker said.<\/p>\n<p>&#8220;It has two indoor pools, a steam room, a sauna, and always that spectacular view where you&#8217;re looking at the harbour.&#8221;<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">Cr Baker initially voted against the renovation before she became mayor, believing it could have been done as a more modest project.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">&#8220;I think I&#8217;ve always thought that it didn&#8217;t need the scale of $120 million,&#8221; Cr Baker said.<\/p>\n<p><img decoding=\"async\" alt=\"a swimming pool in front of a harbour\" class=\"Image_image__5tFYM ContentImage_image__DQ_cq\"  src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/05\/203c925777cdc2e8526222d470a80c19.jpeg\" loading=\"lazy\" data-component=\"Image\" data-lazy=\"true\"\/><\/p>\n<p class=\"Typography_base__sj2RP FigureCaption_text__zDxQ5 Typography_sizeMobile12__w_FPC Typography_lineHeightMobile20___U7Vr Typography_regular__WeIG6 Typography_colourInherit__dfnUx\" data-component=\"Typography\">The budget for the pool&#8217;s renovation exceeded $120 million. (AAP: Dan Himbrechts)<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">&#8220;Now that it&#8217;s here for everyone using it, I think the last thing on their minds will be the financial repair the council&#8217;s doing in the wake of it.&#8221;<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">North Sydney Council was formally handed the keys to the pool by developer Icon on May 22, marking the final practical completion of the pool&#8217;s construction.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">Casual visits will cost $11, while passes for multiple entries and gym memberships at $37 a week will also be available, the mayor said.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">Cr Baker said they would be running guided tours of the facility for the community in the meantime.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">The pool was started as a $28 million project but quickly grew to $58 million, before ending up with the $122 million price tag.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">Since the cost overruns, North Sydney Council has explored options to balance its budget, including deferring millions in capital works and curtailing works on community centres.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">Council will also soon vote on a plan <a class=\"Link_link__5eL5m ScreenReaderOnly_srLinkHint__OysWz Link_showVisited__C1Fea Link_showFocus__ALyv2\" href=\"https:\/\/www.abc.net.au\/news\/2026-05-22\/nsw-north-sydney-council-park-fees-target-picnics-dog-walkers\/106692666\" data-component=\"Link\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">to charge for commercial activity and social gatherings<\/a> of more than 21 people in more than 20 parks and reserves, many of which have views of Sydney Harbour.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">Last year, the council attempted to lift rates by 87 per cent over two years, but was knocked back by the Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal.<\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"Five years after being closed for renovations and a cost blowout of more than $120 million, North Sydney&#8217;s&hellip;\n","protected":false},"author":2,"featured_media":18364,"comment_status":"","ping_status":"","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":""},"categories":[5],"tags":[9966,18116,18115,247,5220],"class_list":["post-18363","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","has-post-thumbnail","category-sydney","tag-north-sydney","tag-opening-date","tag-pool","tag-sydney","tag-zoe-baker"],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/18363","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/2"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=18363"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/18363\/revisions"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media\/18364"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=18363"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=18363"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=18363"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}