{"id":20183,"date":"2026-05-28T14:07:08","date_gmt":"2026-05-28T14:07:08","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/20183\/"},"modified":"2026-05-28T14:07:08","modified_gmt":"2026-05-28T14:07:08","slug":"abc-appoints-simon-robinson-as-news-director-after-justin-stevenss-resignation","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/20183\/","title":{"rendered":"ABC appoints Simon Robinson as news director after Justin Stevens&#8217;s resignation"},"content":{"rendered":"<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">Simon Robinson has been appointed the ABC&#8217;s next director of news, becoming the first external hire to fill the position in decades.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">Managing director Hugh Marks announced the appointment in an email to ABC staff on Thursday, saying, &#8220;Simon Robinson is one of the most experienced and respected newsroom leaders in global journalism.&#8221;<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">&#8220;His track record leading large, complex news operations and his deep commitment to fact\u2011based reporting make him an outstanding choice to lead the ABC&#8217;s News division,&#8221; Mr Marks said.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">Robinson replaces Justin Stevens who <a class=\"Link_link__kR0xA Link_link__5eL5m ScreenReaderOnly_srLinkHint__OysWz Link_showVisited__C1Fea Link_showFocus__ALyv2\" href=\"https:\/\/www.abc.net.au\/news\/2026-05-27\/abc-justin-stevens-resigns-as-director-of-news\/106728188\" data-component=\"Link\" data-uri=\"coremedia:\/\/article\/106728188\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">resigned on Wednesday after four years in the role<\/a> citing &#8220;both professional and personal&#8221; reasons.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">Currently based in London, Robinson is deputy to the editor-in-chief at news service Reuters. He has been with the organisation for 16 years, holding a number of senior roles.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">Robinson began his career as a reporter and fact-checker with Who Weekly in Sydney, before spending 15 years at Time where he worked as a correspondent, bureau chief and editor.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">In his LinkedIn biography, Robinson said he had &#8220;years of experience as a newsroom leader and working on strategy&#8221;.<\/p>\n<p>&#8220;I can reshape a news story or transform an organisation alike,&#8221;  he said.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">&#8220;As the deputy to Reuters editor-in-chief, I help manage a newsroom of 2,600 professionals and spearhead our digital and publishing initiatives which help shape news seen by billions of people around the world every day.&#8221;<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">In a statement to the ABC, Robinson said he was &#8220;thrilled and honoured to be named the ABC&#8217;s director of news and current affairs&#8221;.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">&#8220;As a passionate believer in the power of fact-based, independent journalism, I believe the ABC plays a pivotal role in providing Australians with the reliable reporting we all need.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">&#8220;I grew up listening to and watching ABC News. It seemed ever-present in my childhood home. On a personal note, I am delighted this role brings me home, among family and friends.&#8221;<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\"><a class=\"Link_link__kR0xA Link_link__5eL5m ScreenReaderOnly_srLinkHint__OysWz Link_showVisited__C1Fea Link_showFocus__ALyv2\" href=\"https:\/\/www.abc.net.au\/news\/2026-05-28\/abc-news-director-justin-stevens-replacement-imminent\/106730946\" data-component=\"Link\" data-uri=\"coremedia:\/\/article\/106730946\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">Mr Marks declined to comment on reports of Robinson&#8217;s appointment<\/a> in Senate estimates earlier on Thursday.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">He confirmed the incoming news director had been chosen after a hiring process run by an external provider.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">However, he said he had met &#8220;many senior news people around the world&#8221; over the past six months as part of an &#8220;informal process&#8221; and had interviewed a &#8220;number of candidates&#8221;.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">&#8220;Internal applicants were considered, but we felt that a globally experienced executive is the right thing at this point in time for the ABC,&#8221; he said.<\/p>\n<p><img decoding=\"async\" alt=\"Marks sits at a desk awaiting questioning\" class=\"Image_image__5tFYM ContentImage_image__DQ_cq\"  src=\"https:\/\/live-production.wcms.abc-cdn.net.au\/36a1a249548daed0c8439c41472a8b68?impolicy=wcms_crop_resize&amp;cropH=1025&amp;cropW=1538&amp;xPos=31&amp;yPos=0&amp;width=862&amp;height=575\" loading=\"lazy\" data-component=\"Image\" data-lazy=\"true\"\/><\/p>\n<p class=\"Typography_base__sj2RP FigureCaption_text__zDxQ5 Typography_sizeMobile12__w_FPC Typography_lineHeightMobile20___U7Vr Typography_regular__WeIG6 Typography_colourInherit__dfnUx\" data-component=\"Typography\">Hugh Marks said the replacement of the ABC&#8217;s news director provided the organisation an opportunity to refresh and rejuvenate. (ABC News: Toby Hunt)<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">Asked why Stevens had resigned, Mr Marks told Senate estimates that Stevens &#8220;felt it was the right time for him to move on and pursue other careers&#8221;.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">&#8220;It&#8217;s a difficult role, the head of news at the ABC. I think after four years and with intense scrutiny \u2026 I think Stevens felt it was the right time,&#8221; he said.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">&#8220;I think it is an opportunity for the ABC to enter into a new phase of our output for what might be the next 20 years, to make sure we are fit for the future.&#8221;<\/p>\n<p><a href=\"https:\/\/www.abc.net.au\/news\/2026-05-27\/abc-justin-stevens-resigns-as-director-of-news\/106728188\" data-component=\"FullBleedLink\" class=\"RelatedCard_link__rsgR9 FullBleedLink_root__lTw_U interactive_focusContext__yRhc_ interactive_defaults__AKxUU FullBleedLink_showVisited__g3Xvz\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">ABC&#8217;s Justin Stevens resigns as director of news<\/a><\/p>\n<p class=\"Typography_base__sj2RP RelatedCard_synopsis__cFwMW Typography_sizeMobile14__u7TGe Typography_lineHeightMobile20___U7Vr Typography_regular__WeIG6 Typography_colourInherit__dfnUx\" data-component=\"Typography\">Justin Stevens, the ABC&#8217;s director of news, has announced his resignation after 19 years with the organisation.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">In a farewell email to ABC staff on Wednesday, his last day, Stevens said: &#8220;There is no more complex news organisation in the country, no more scrutinised institution, and few so laden with public expectations.&#8221;<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">&#8220;In that context, I have sought to strengthen and defend our journalism without being blind to our stumbles; to meet the state of constant change in the digital age; and to improve our culture in News to one where we hold ourselves to the same standards as we do of others in the broader community,&#8221; he said.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">Stevens had worked at the ABC for 15 years before being appointed director of news, including as executive producer of the ABC&#8217;s flagship nightly current affairs program 7.30 and as a producer at Four Corners.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">Appointed by Mr Marks&#8217;s predecessor David Anderson in 2022, Stevens, just 37 at the time, beat out a number of more senior candidates to become the ABC&#8217;s top news executive.<\/p>\n<p>Bringing in an outside voice<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">Robinson&#8217;s appointment marks a significant change in direction for the ABC which has previously promoted News division leaders from within.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">The last time an outsider was brought in to lead a large portion of that division was in the early 1990s when former Fairfax chief executive Chris Anderson was hired to head TV news and current affairs.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">That position predated the merger of the ABC&#8217;s TV and radio news divisions, as well as the entire digital news operation which launched in 1997.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">Since then, the position has typically gone to experienced journalists and editors from within the News division, which currently employs about 2,000 people across Australia.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">In addition to being the ABC&#8217;s largest division, News is also arguably the most highly scrutinised, with the ABC&#8217;s taxpayer-funded status making it subject to freedom of information legislation, government oversight, including estimates hearings, and intense criticism from commercial networks.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">During his time as news director, Stevens oversaw a period of change for the broadcaster, including an overhaul of the ABC News website and branding, the <a class=\"Link_link__kR0xA Link_link__5eL5m ScreenReaderOnly_srLinkHint__OysWz Link_showVisited__C1Fea Link_showFocus__ALyv2\" href=\"https:\/\/www.abc.net.au\/news\/2025-06-11\/abc-panel-show-q-a-discontinued-after-18-years-on-air\/105400400\" data-component=\"Link\" data-uri=\"coremedia:\/\/article\/105400400\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">axing of legacy program Q+A<\/a>, and an emphasis on digital-first reporting.<\/p>\n<p><img decoding=\"async\" alt=\"A wide shot of a discussion panel.\" class=\"Image_image__5tFYM ContentImage_image__DQ_cq\"  src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/05\/d9f81422ed3ba222900fe146393c82f7.jpeg\" loading=\"lazy\" data-component=\"Image\" data-lazy=\"true\"\/><\/p>\n<p class=\"Typography_base__sj2RP FigureCaption_text__zDxQ5 Typography_sizeMobile12__w_FPC Typography_lineHeightMobile20___U7Vr Typography_regular__WeIG6 Typography_colourInherit__dfnUx\" data-component=\"Typography\">Political panel show Q+A was cancelled in mid-2025 after 18 years on the air. (ABC News)<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">The ABC was consistently the number one news site in the country towards the end of his tenure, and the audience for the nightly 7pm news broadcasts had grown.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">However, he was also forced to navigate a number of controversies, including the <a class=\"Link_link__kR0xA Link_link__5eL5m ScreenReaderOnly_srLinkHint__OysWz Link_showVisited__C1Fea Link_showFocus__ALyv2\" href=\"https:\/\/www.abc.net.au\/news\/2023-05-19\/stan-grant-media-target-racist-abuse-coronation-coverage-enough\/102368652\" data-component=\"Link\" data-uri=\"coremedia:\/\/article\/102368652\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">resignation of high-profile host Stan Grant<\/a>, which sparked a review of racism at the ABC.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">In 2024 he <a class=\"Link_link__kR0xA Link_link__5eL5m ScreenReaderOnly_srLinkHint__OysWz Link_showVisited__C1Fea Link_showFocus__ALyv2\" href=\"https:\/\/www.abc.net.au\/news\/2024-11-05\/730-line-of-fire-audio-editing-review-stevens\/104559066\" data-component=\"Link\" data-uri=\"coremedia:\/\/article\/104559066\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">issued an apology<\/a> on behalf of the ABC for the inaccurate use of gunshot audio and the potentially misleading use of a quote as part of a series of 2022 reports into the war in Afghanistan titled Line of Fire.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">As part of the wider ABC executive, he also grappled with the controversial dismissal of Antoinette Lattouf by the content division and a historic strike that saw thousands of ABC workers walk off the job.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">Robinson will start with the ABC in September.<\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"Simon Robinson has been appointed the ABC&#8217;s next director of news, becoming the first external hire to fill&hellip;\n","protected":false},"author":2,"featured_media":20184,"comment_status":"","ping_status":"","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":""},"categories":[2],"tags":[5120,8054,22,21,19405,19407,19145,18715,19410,19406,19409,19408,19411],"class_list":["post-20183","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","has-post-thumbnail","category-australia","tag-abc-news","tag-appointment","tag-au","tag-austrlia","tag-director-of-news","tag-hiring","tag-hugh-marks","tag-justin-stevens","tag-new-abc-news-director","tag-news-director","tag-reuters","tag-simon-robinson","tag-who-is-replacing-justin-stevens"],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/20183","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/2"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=20183"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/20183\/revisions"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media\/20184"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=20183"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=20183"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=20183"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}