{"id":75060,"date":"2026-08-18T22:20:13","date_gmt":"2026-08-18T22:20:13","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/75060\/"},"modified":"2026-08-18T22:20:13","modified_gmt":"2026-08-18T22:20:13","slug":"police-release-footage-of-arson-attack-linked-to-20m-bikie-extortion-attempt","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/75060\/","title":{"rendered":"Police release footage of arson attack linked to $20m bikie extortion attempt"},"content":{"rendered":"<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">Police have released footage of an arson attack at a home in Melbourne&#8217;s inner west last year, believed to have been linked to a $20 million extortion attempt by bikies.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">Victoria Police said two cars at a property in Stephen Street, Yarraville, were set alight just after 2:20am on November 26.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">CCTV footage released today by police shows a grey Toyota RAV4 pulling up outside the house, with two males getting out of the car.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">The two males pour accelerant over two cars parked in front of the house, as well as the front door area.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">They then throw Molotov cocktails at the vehicles before fleeing the scene.<\/p>\n<p><img decoding=\"async\" alt=\"A person pouring petrol on a car in a black and white CCTV image\" class=\"Image_image__5tFYM ContentImage_image__DQ_cq\"  src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/9d08046e4b17ab3228140bb9e42c9700.jpeg\" loading=\"lazy\" data-component=\"Image\" data-lazy=\"true\"\/><\/p>\n<p class=\"Typography_base__sj2RP FigureCaption_text__zDxQ5 Typography_sizeMobile12__w_FPC Typography_lineHeightMobile20___U7Vr Typography_regular__WeIG6 Typography_colourInherit__dfnUx\" data-component=\"Typography\">Police are hoping someone may be able to identify the men who carried out the arson attack. (Supplied: Victoria Police)<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">Victoria Police said none of the occupants of the house was injured, but the cars were destroyed, and there was extensive damage to the front of the house.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">In December, police arrested a 23-year-old man from Thomastown and a 27-year-old man from Mickleham in connection with the incident.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">Both were released.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">Police released vision of the arson in the hope somebody may recognise the men who carried out the attack.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">Taskforce Echo is investigating the incident, which was set up to tackle crime involving Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs (OMCG).<\/p>\n<p><img decoding=\"async\" alt=\"Two burnt cars side by side after an arson attack\" class=\"Image_image__5tFYM ContentImage_image__DQ_cq\"  src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/64810fc385a0b63f10278595a8b7ce40.jpeg\" loading=\"lazy\" data-component=\"Image\" data-lazy=\"true\"\/><\/p>\n<p class=\"Typography_base__sj2RP FigureCaption_text__zDxQ5 Typography_sizeMobile12__w_FPC Typography_lineHeightMobile20___U7Vr Typography_regular__WeIG6 Typography_colourInherit__dfnUx\" data-component=\"Typography\">Two cars at the property were destroyed in the fire last year. (Supplied: Victoria Police)<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">Detective Senior Sergeant Ben Oakley from Taskforce Echo said the incident could have been deadly.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">&#8220;We have said time and time again that fire \u2014 arson \u2014 risks the lives of innocent people,&#8221; he said.\u00a0<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">&#8220;It is dangerous and unpredictable.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">&#8220;A woman and a young child were inside this address. In their home, where everyone deserves to feel and be safe.&#8221;<\/p>\n<p>Arson followed bikie extortion attempt<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">Police said a month before the arson attack, the occupant of the home was the victim of an extortion attempt by three bikies.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">Three men attended the home and demanded $20 million be paid by the end of the week or the house would be burnt down.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">The 47-year-old resident was slapped and punched in the face.<\/p>\n<p><img decoding=\"async\" alt=\"A house damaged by fire.\" class=\"Image_image__5tFYM ContentImage_image__DQ_cq\"  src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/24072b4a750101d9dfaa7b37cca382c1.jpeg\" loading=\"lazy\" data-component=\"Image\" data-lazy=\"true\"\/><\/p>\n<p class=\"Typography_base__sj2RP FigureCaption_text__zDxQ5 Typography_sizeMobile12__w_FPC Typography_lineHeightMobile20___U7Vr Typography_regular__WeIG6 Typography_colourInherit__dfnUx\" data-component=\"Typography\">The arson attack damaged the front of the house in Yarraville in November last year. (Supplied: Victoria Police)<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">Police said a woman and a young child at the home were not physically injured during the incident.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">Three men, a 27-year-old from Kalkallo, a 23-year-old from Ivanhoe and a 28-year-old from Craigieburn, were charged in November last year and have recently been sentenced.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">Victoria Police said the men were patched Bandidos.<\/p>\n<p class=\"paragraph_paragraph___QITb\">Anyone with information has been urged to contact CrimeStoppers on 1800 333 000.<\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"Police have released footage of an arson attack at a home in Melbourne&#8217;s inner west last year, believed&hellip;\n","protected":false},"author":2,"featured_media":75061,"comment_status":"","ping_status":"","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":""},"categories":[4],"tags":[3340,2034,109525,19980,844,109524,260,1047,7546],"class_list":["post-75060","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","has-post-thumbnail","category-melbourne","tag-arrest","tag-arson","tag-bandidos","tag-extortion","tag-fire","tag-firebomb","tag-melbourne","tag-police","tag-yarraville"],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/75060","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/2"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=75060"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/75060\/revisions"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media\/75061"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=75060"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=75060"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/australia\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=75060"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}