{"id":28966,"date":"2026-07-15T22:21:31","date_gmt":"2026-07-15T22:21:31","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/be\/28966\/"},"modified":"2026-07-15T22:21:31","modified_gmt":"2026-07-15T22:21:31","slug":"brussels-mayor-bans-save-europe-act-remigration-protest","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/be\/28966\/","title":{"rendered":"Brussels Mayor Bans Save Europe Act Remigration Protest"},"content":{"rendered":"<p class=\"has-drop-cap has-medium-font-size wp-block-paragraph\">Ixelles Mayor Romain De Reusme has <a href=\"https:\/\/bx1.be\/categories\/news\/une-manifestation-dextreme-droite-peut-finalement-se-tenir-a-ixelles\/\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">banned<\/a> a demonstration organized by the anti-immigration and remigration advocate campaign <a href=\"https:\/\/www.hungarianconservative.com\/tags\/save-europe-act\/\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">Save Europe Act<\/a> outside the European Parliament, prompting organizers to announce an immediate legal challenge and vow that supporters would still gather in the Belgian capital on Wednesday.<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The decision was first disclosed on Tuesday in a Telegram channel launched specifically for the 15 July protest and was subsequently announced on the campaign\u2019s X account. Organizers said the event had been <a href=\"https:\/\/x.com\/SaveEuropeAct\/status\/2076978766916592071\" rel=\"nofollow\">prohibited one day before<\/a> it was due to take place at Place du Luxembourg, directly outside the European Parliament.<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">\u2018This is how the Brussels regime operates: they strip the opposition of every democratic instrument,\u2019 the Telegram message said. \u2018But of course, we\u2019re not backing down.\u2019 The campaign added that a lawyer was ready to challenge the decision immediately.<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">A subsequent message told supporters that an \u2018experienced team of lawyers\u2019 was handling the case and had previously won similar disputes. Organizers said there remained a possibility that the demonstration could proceed as planned, but added that campaign representatives were already in Brussels and would \u2018definitely do something\u2019 regardless of the outcome.<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The event had been scheduled for 2.45pm on Wednesday at Place du Luxembourg. Save Europe Act co-founders Eva Vlaardingerbroek and Martin Sellner were expected to address supporters. Organizers had previously announced that the gathering was \u2018officially registered with the police\u2019 before reporting the mayor\u2019s intervention.<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The campaign had planned to deliver its collected signatures to the EU institutions and demonstrate support for its proposed remigration programme. By Tuesday afternoon, the organizers had not published the written prohibition or any detailed legal justification, while no public explanation from Philippe Close\u2019s office was immediately available.<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Launched on 31 May, the Save Europe Act calls for a moratorium on non-Western and non-European immigration, stricter external border controls, faster deportations, and an EU-wide framework for voluntary or incentivized remigration. It <a href=\"https:\/\/www.hungarianconservative.com\/articles\/current\/save-europe-act-milestone-campaign-remigration-eu\/\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">passed 500,000 preliminary signatures<\/a> on 7 July, halfway towards the organizers\u2019 stated target of one million.<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The European Commission has already warned that it may refuse to register the proposal, arguing that distinctions based on \u2018ethnic, cultural or civilizational origin\u2019 could constitute racial or ethnic discrimination contrary to the EU Charter and the bloc\u2019s founding values.<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Brussels already seen similar controversy in April 2024, when City of Brussels Mayor Philippe Close pressured the planned venue for the right-wing National Conservatism Conference\u2014featuring Nigel Farage, Viktor Orb\u00e1n, \u00c9ric Zemmour, and others\u2014to cancel the event. The conference relocated twice before <a href=\"https:\/\/www.hungarianconservative.com\/articles\/politics\/natcon-brussels_police_shutdown-attempt_left-liberal-campaign\/\" data-type=\"link\" data-id=\"https:\/\/www.hungarianconservative.com\/articles\/politics\/natcon-brussels_police_shutdown-attempt_left-liberal-campaign\/\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">police attempted to shut it down<\/a> under a separate order issued by Saint-Josse-ten-Noode Mayor Emir Kir. Belgium\u2019s Council of State ultimately overturned the order, allowing the conference\u2019s second day to proceed.<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">This article has been updated to correct the identity of the mayor who issued the protest ban. The order was issued by Ixelles Mayor Romain De Reusme, not City of Brussels Mayor Philippe Close.<\/p>\n<p class=\"has-medium-font-size wp-block-paragraph\">Related articles:<\/p>\n<p style=\"font-family: 'AtlasGrotesk', sans-serif; font-size: 15px; line-height: 1.6; color: #111111; margin: 0 0 12px 0; font-weight: 600;\">\n                    At a time when public debate is increasingly polarized and superficial, Hungarian Conservative remains committed to depth, intellectual honesty, and independent conservative thought.\n                <\/p>\n<p style=\"font-family: 'AtlasGrotesk', sans-serif; font-size: 15px; line-height: 1.6; color: #666666; margin: 0;\">\n                    Producing high-quality journalism requires resources. Your contribution helps us expand our coverage, reach new audiences, and keep our content accessible.\n                <\/p>\n<p>                    <img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"512\" height=\"512\" src=\"data:image\/svg+xml,%3Csvg%20xmlns=\" http:=\"\" alt=\"HC Logo\" class=\"hc-donation-logo\" data-lazy-src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/be\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/07\/cropped-HC_Logo-02.png\"\/><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"512\" height=\"512\" src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/be\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/07\/cropped-HC_Logo-02.png\" alt=\"HC Logo\" class=\"hc-donation-logo\"\/><\/p>\n<p style=\"font-family: 'AtlasGrotesk', sans-serif; font-size: 16px; line-height: 1.4; color: #111111; margin: 0; font-weight: 600;\">\n                        Please consider supporting our mission.\n                    <\/p>\n<p>                <a href=\"https:\/\/www.hungarianconservative.com\/support\/\" target=\"_blank\" class=\"hc-donation-btn\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\"><br \/>\n                    Donate Now<br \/>\n                <\/a><\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"Ixelles Mayor Romain De Reusme has banned a demonstration organized by the anti-immigration and remigration advocate campaign Save&hellip;\n","protected":false},"author":2,"featured_media":28967,"comment_status":"","ping_status":"","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":"","_share_on_mastodon":"0"},"categories":[5],"tags":[16030,10382,18,277,16031,16032,16033,12979,497,16034,16035,16036],"class_list":["post-28966","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","has-post-thumbnail","category-brussels","tag-anti-immigration","tag-ban","tag-brussels","tag-european-commission","tag-eva-vlaardingerbroek","tag-legal-team","tag-martin-sellner","tag-philippe-close","tag-protest","tag-remigration","tag-save-europe-act","tag-telegram"],"share_on_mastodon":{"url":"https:\/\/pubeurope.com\/@be\/116926328837465502","error":""},"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/be\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/28966","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/be\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/be\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/be\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/2"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/be\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=28966"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/be\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/28966\/revisions"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/be\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media\/28967"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/be\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=28966"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/be\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=28966"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/be\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=28966"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}