{"id":32179,"date":"2026-08-12T11:38:11","date_gmt":"2026-08-12T11:38:11","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/be\/32179\/"},"modified":"2026-08-12T11:38:11","modified_gmt":"2026-08-12T11:38:11","slug":"belgium-players-surprised-by-folarin-balogun-world-cup-ban-decision-youri-tielemans","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/be\/32179\/","title":{"rendered":"Belgium players \u2018surprised\u2019 by Folarin Balogun World Cup ban decision \u2013 Youri Tielemans"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>Youri Tielemans has spoken of Belgium\u2019s surprise at FIFA\u2019s decision to suspend U.S. forward Folarin Balogun\u2019s one-match ban during the summer\u2019s World Cup.<\/p>\n<p>Tielemans, who has joined Manchester United from Aston Villa this summer, was part of the Belgium side that comfortably defeated the United States 4-1 \u2014 but the last-16 knockout tie was overshadowed by the availability of Balogun for the co-hosts<\/p>\n<p>The 25-year-old\u00a0<a href=\"https:\/\/www.nytimes.com\/athletic\/7415091\/2026\/07\/01\/folarin-balogun-red-card-usa-world-cup\/\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">received a straight red card<\/a>\u00a0against Bosnia and Herzegovina in the World Cup round-of-32. He was, however, made eligible to face Belgium in the next round\u00a0<a href=\"https:\/\/www.nytimes.com\/athletic\/7423410\/2026\/07\/05\/usmnt-folarin-balogun-red-card-available\/\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">after FIFA\u2019s disciplinary committee suspended the sanction<\/a>. U.S. President Donald Trump\u00a0<a href=\"https:\/\/www.nytimes.com\/athletic\/7424432\/2026\/07\/06\/folarin-balogun-donald-trump-gianni-infantino\/\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">later said he had called Infantino and asked for the case to be reviewed<\/a>.<\/p>\n<p>The U.S. striker subsequently started for Mauricio Pochettino\u2019s side in the last-16 game.<\/p>\n<p>\u201cOriginally we were surprised by the decision to revert the red card and his suspension,\u201d Tielemans said of the episode.<\/p>\n<p>\u201cFor us, it did not really change anything other than the preparation leading up to the game because it is a different type of player than the other player that was meant to play. But other than that, we were very calm and we just accepted our fate and tried to have a good game.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>When Romelu Lukaku scored Belgium\u2019s fourth goal in Seattle, the team\u2019s feelings on the matter became evident. The striker performed a \u2018we can\u2019t hear you\u2019 cupped-ear celebration followed by the team doing a dance mimicking President Trump, on the pitch and then later again in the dressing room.<\/p>\n<p>Then, the Belgium national team put out a social media post making fun of the situation.<\/p>\n<p lang=\"en\" dir=\"ltr\">Overturn this. \ud83e\uddcf\u200d\u2642\ufe0f <a href=\"https:\/\/x.com\/hashtag\/USABEL?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw\" rel=\"nofollow\">#USABEL<\/a> <a href=\"https:\/\/t.co\/KcBAJp3Z7d\" rel=\"nofollow\">pic.twitter.com\/KcBAJp3Z7d<\/a><\/p>\n<p>\u2014 Belgian Red Devils (@BelRedDevils) <a href=\"https:\/\/x.com\/BelRedDevils\/status\/2074315204704240101?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw\" rel=\"nofollow\">July 7, 2026<\/a><\/p>\n<p>After the match, some Belgium players addressed the issue when questioned in the mixed zone. Midfielder Nicolas Raskin called the Balogun decision an injustice, Dodi Lukebakio said he didn\u2019t understand it and goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois said Belgium had been disrespected.<\/p>\n<p>Tielemans was asked if Belgium\u2019s celebrations after the match indicated that the decision had fired up his side. \u201cYeah, I think that is part of the game,\u201d he said. \u201cThe celebrations afterwards were \u2026 yeah, were nice and funny and it was all good.\u201d<\/p>\n<p><script async src=\"https:\/\/platform.twitter.com\/widgets.js\" charset=\"utf-8\"><\/script><\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"Youri Tielemans has spoken of Belgium\u2019s surprise at FIFA\u2019s decision to suspend U.S. forward Folarin Balogun\u2019s one-match ban&hellip;\n","protected":false},"author":2,"featured_media":32180,"comment_status":"","ping_status":"","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":"","_share_on_mastodon":"0"},"categories":[4],"tags":[7,3937,1264,3934,4097],"class_list":["post-32179","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","has-post-thumbnail","category-belgium","tag-belgium","tag-fifa-mens-world-cup","tag-manchester-united","tag-soccer","tag-us-mens-national-team"],"share_on_mastodon":{"url":"https:\/\/pubeurope.com\/@be\/117082345136288152","error":""},"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/be\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/32179","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/be\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/be\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/be\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/2"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/be\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=32179"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/be\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/32179\/revisions"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/be\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media\/32180"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/be\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=32179"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/be\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=32179"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/be\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=32179"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}