The Utilita Arena was evacuated midway through the comedian’s set as an arrest was made
Police on the stairs at the Utilita Arena Birmingham after Peter Kay’s show was cancelled
West Midlands Police has confirmed a 19 year old man has been arrested following the evacuation of Peter Kay’s stand-up show at the Utilita Arena in Birmingham tonight.
Hundreds were evacuated from the venue tonight (Friday May 1) after just 45 minutes.
One of those attending told Birmingham Live a member of the production team came on to the stage to inform them the show would not be continuing at around 8.45pm.
Read more ‘Our roads are now so potholed my children have stopped riding their bikes’
Others said the comedian had been ‘bundled off the stage’ and police had been spotted in the arena.
It was later confirmed by police that they had been assisting with the evactuation of the venue after a suspicious bag was found.
West Midlands Police said: “We are assisting with an evacuation at the Utilita Arena in Birmingham after a potential suspicious bag was found.
“A 19-year-old man is in custody and as a precaution the site is currently subject of a search.
“We will provide further updates when we can.”
The Utilita Arena provided an update, sharing: “Utilita Arena Birmingham has been evacuated as a precaution on the advice of West Midlands Police after a potential suspicious bag was found nearby.
The safety and security of customers and our colleagues is our highest priority.
“We can confirm everyone was safely evacuated and that the venue is secure.
“Ticket holders will be contacted directly in due course.”
Peter Kay is scheduled to perform at the same venue in Birmingham city centre tomorrow night.