The comedian was forced to cancel his show midway throughPolice at the scene at the Utilita Arena Birmingham

Police at the scene at the Utilita Arena Birmingham

The Birmingham venue evacuated halfway through a Peter Kay show tonight has issued a statement.

The huge comedian had been performing at the Utilita Arena in Birmingham tonight (Friday, May 1) when the crowd was told the gig would not be continuing.

Police later confirmed a ‘suspicious bag’ had been found and the arena confirmed an evacuation had taken place.

Read more Peter Kay gig evacuated live in Birmingham as police confirm ‘security concern’

A 19 year old man has been arrested and is in police custody tonight.

It has not been confirmed what he has been arrested on suspicion of.

A spokesman for the Utilita Arena shared: “Utilita Arena Birmingham has been evacuated as a precaution on the advice of West Midlands Police after a potential suspicious bag was found nearby.

“The safety and security of customers and out colleague is our highest priority.

“We can confirm everyone was safely evacuated and that the venue is secure.

“Ticket holders will be contacted directly in due course.”

Peter Kay is due to host a second night of the show at the same venue in Birmingham tomorrow night (Saturday May 2).

West Midlands Police said: “We are assisting with an evacuation at the Utilita Arena in Birmingham after a potential suspicious bag was found.

“A 19-year-old man is in custody and as a precaution the site is currently subject of a search.

“We will provide further updates when we can.”