Andy Burnham has vowed not to raise income tax, VAT, or employee national insurance rates if he succeeds Sir Keir Starmer as prime minister.
The Mayor of Greater Manchester launched his campaign as Labour’s candidate for the Makerfield by-election on Friday, promising to lower energy and water bills – and oversee the largest building of council house building “since the Second World War”.
Burnham is widely expected to challenge Starmer should he win in Makerfield, after the Prime Minister faced more than 90 calls to quit from Labour MPs and the resignation of his health secretary, along with several other junior ministers.
And, in a sign he is seeking to project a disciplined economic message, Burnham told reporters on Friday that he is “committed” to Labour’s manifesto promise not to increase taxes on working people.
Shorts
Scroll to previous short
Scroll to next short
news
Jessie J ‘sobbed for hours’ after learning she’s cancer free
Jessie J, 37, said in an Instagram video she has spent much of her recent time ‘in and out of tests’ (Photo: Jordan Pettitt/PA Wire)
Singer Jessie J has revealed she is officially cancer-free, saying she “sobbed for hours” after receiving the all-clear.
The star, who had undergone treatment for breast cancer last year, returned to the stage in September after a break from performing.
Star in tears after receiving news
The 37-year-old shared the news on her Instagram, saying she “sobbed for hours and then exhaled for the first time in a year” when she got the scan results.
She revealed she had been diagnosed with early-stage breast cancer in June last year.
In August, she said she had to undergo a second operation and postponed an upcoming tour.
Caption: CHELMSFORD, ENGLAND – SEPTEMBER 6: Jessie J performs onstage during Radio 2 In The Park at Hylands Park on September 6, 2025 in Chelmsford, England. (Photo by Katja Ogrin/Getty Images)
Photographer: Katja Ogrin
Provider: Getty Images
Source: Getty Images Europe
Copyright: Katja Ogrin
MUSIC
5 min read
Top of the pops
Jessie J, real name Jessica Cornish, rose to fame in 2011 with the release of her hit single Price Tag. She won the Brit Award for rising star and won four Mobo awards that year.
Caption:
Jessie J – Price Tag acoustic-Top Of The Pops Christmas
Screen grab from YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9WuNniJZs4
Caption: Television Programme: The Voice with Jessie J
– TX: n/a – Episode: n/a (No. 1) – Embargoed for publication until: n/a – Picture Shows: Jessie J – (C) Wall to Wall – Photographer: Guy Levy
Photographer: Guy Levy
Provider: BBC/Wall to Wall
Copyright: BBC PICTURE ARCHIVES
Since then, she has released four more albums, most recently Don’t Tease Me With a Good Time in November last year, and been a judge on The Voice UK.
Star’s health battle
I’ve always had obscure health issues that (doctors) can’t figure out. Nothing has broken me. I believe I’ve gone through all the things I have to help people
JESSIE J, SPEAKING IN DECEMBER
Caption: SAO PAULO, BRAZIL – APRIL 30: Jessie J performs live on stage at Espaco Unimed on April 30, 2024 in Sao Paulo, Brazil. (Photo by Mauricio Santana/Getty Images)
Photographer: Mauricio Santana
Provider: Getty Images
Source: Getty Images South America
Copyright: 2024 Mauricio Santana
news
Dover warns passengers to brace for half-term queues
Caption: Passengers queue at check-in to cross the Channel at the Port of Dover in Kent. Millions of drivers are embarking on Easter getaway trips despite the soaring cost of fuel. Picture date: Friday April 3, 2026. PA Photo. Photo credit should read: Gareth Fuller/PA Wire
Photographer: Gareth Fuller
Provider: Gareth Fuller/PA Wire
Source: PA
Copyright: PA
Ferry passengers travelling through the Port of Dover during the bank holiday getaway have been warned to expect long queues and possible delays amid EU border checks.
The full impact of the EU’s new Entry and Exit System (EES) will be felt at the port for the first time over the weekend, with travellers heading for Europe over the half-term break.
Port town prepares for busy days
Dover is bracing for a hectic weekend, with 18,000 passengers expected between Friday and Sunday. Saturday is predicted to be the busiest day with more than 8,000 travellers passing through.
Caption: DOVER, UNITED KINGDOM – JULY 21: The Port of Dover traffic builds up due to border controls checks being carry out in Dover, United Kingdom on July 21, 2023. Holidaymakers and freight vehicles trying to get their ferries, are facing long delays. P&O and DFDS ferries confirming that their services this weekend will be busy. The Port of Dover and the ferries are struggling to keep up with the sheer volume of traffic. (Photo by Stuart Brock/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images)
Photographer: Anadolu Agency
Provider: Anadolu Agency via Getty Images
Source: Anadolu
Caption: A family missed their flight home from a trip to Disneyland Paris after being stuck for more than five hours in queues for new EU border biometric checks.
David Newton, his wife Kimberley and their four-year-old daughter Frankie Mae were forced to go through Entry-Exit System (EES) checks twice in a day after missing their flight due to delays at Charles de Gaulle airport.
Mr Newton, 43, from Stourbridge, West Midlands and his family arrived three hours before their return flight to Birmingham with easyJet on 16 March, but ended up stranded for 11 hours at the Paris airport.
Footage supplied by David Newton
The authorities have urged people to avoid the city centre and travel to the port using the main roads, M2A/2 and M20/A20.
Come prepared to wait, say Dover authorities
Dover officials have warned travellers not to arrive more than two hours before their scheduled departure, with the busiest period expected between 6am and 1pm.
Bringing plenty of water, snacks and entertainment is also recommended, as well as making sure dogs are walked beforehand.
NEWS
4 min read
LIFESTYLE
6 min read
What are the new checks and what do I need to do?
Caption: A person as their passport scanned whilst using an Automated European Union Entry/Exit System (EES) kiosk during a press preview on the rollout of the EU’s new Entry-Exit System (EES) at Eurotunnel, south east England on September 23, 2025. The European Union’s new border-check system for non-EU nationals, the so-called Entry/Exit System (EES), which will do away with passport stamps, is set to finally launch October 12. (Photo by Justin TALLIS / AFP) (Photo by JUSTIN TALLIS/AFP via Getty Images)
Photographer: JUSTIN TALLIS
Provider: AFP via Getty Images
Source: AFP
Copyright: AFP or licensors
Travellers entering the Schengen area now have to provide biometrics.
EES biometric kiosks aren’t in use at Dover for car passengers, but French police manually create profiles.
Coach passengers are completing biometric checks at the port.
TRAVEL
4 min read
Andy Burnham makes a speech at the launch of his campaign as Labour’s candidate for the Makerfield by-election (Photo: PA)
politics
Burnham launches Makerfield by-election campaign
Andy Burnham criticised Sir Keir Starmer’s leadership as he launched his campaign to return to Westminster and trigger a probable challenge to the Prime Minister for No 10.
The Greater Manchester Mayor vowed to change “tired” British politics as he kicked off his bid to win next month’s Makerfield by-election while throwing down the gauntlet to Starmer.
Burnham is widely viewed as Starmer’s main rival for the top job if he wins on 18 June.
‘Hope is in the air’
This is not more of the same. This is a change by-election. British politics is tired. It needs a new script and over the next four weeks the people of Makerfield are going to write that script
ANDY BURNHAM. LABOUR’S Makerfield by-election candidate
Caption: ASHTON-IN-MAKERFIELD, ENGLAND – MAY 22: Labour Party candidate Andy Burnham speaks during his campaign launch for the Makerfield By-election at Stubshaw Cross Community and Sports Club on May 22, 2026 in Ashton-in-Makerfield, England. The Makerfield by-election, scheduled for 18 June 2026, has been triggered explicitly to provide Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham a route back to Westminster. If successful, Burnham is expected to launch a direct challenge against Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer for the leadership of the Labour Party. (Photo by Ryan Jenkinson/Getty Images)
Photographer: Ryan Jenkinson
Provider: Getty Images
Source: Getty Images Europe
Copyright: 2026 Getty Images
Burnham’s Makerfield aims
Biggest programme of council housebuilding since WW2
Jobs for Wigan
Burnham vowed to improve connections and education levels
Lowering bills
Water and energy bills have to come down, he said
Tackling cost of living
Was recognised as a top priority for voters was
Analysis
5 min read
analysis
Burnham takes aim at Starmer Government
Caption: Chief Whip Jonathan Reynolds takes a selfie with a Labour party supporters wait for the arrival of of Andy Burnham at the official launch of his campaign as Labour’s candidate for the Makerfield by-election during a press conference at Stubshaw Cross Community and Sports Club in Ashton-in-Makerfield, Greater Manchester. Picture date: Friday May 22, 2026. PA Photo. Photo credit should read: Peter Byrne/PA Wire
Photographer: Peter Byrne
Provider: Peter Byrne/PA Wire
Source: PA
Burnham has just taken direct aim at Starmer’s Government. He said: “I know my own party needs to change. We need to be better than we’ve been. We’ve not been good enough. Let it be in no doubt, a vote for me in this by-election is a vote to change Labour.”
He ended his speech on his slogan: “I’m for us. So we can build a party and a country that is ‘For Us Too’.”
Burnham’s opponents
Robert Kenyon contested the Makerfield seat for Reform UK in the 2024 general election (Photo: Reform UK handout)
Robert Kenyon for Reform UK is expected to be a close second
Conservatives: Michael Winstanley
Liberal Democrats: Jake Austin
Restore Britain: Rebecca Shepherd
Greens’ candidate withdrew with replacement yet to be named
POLITICS
5 min read
More politics from The i Paper
Keir Starmer’s promise to build 1.5 million homes could be at risk because bricks are becoming too expensive to produce. The Iran war and rising energy prices have pushed up manufacturing costs, with unions warning Labour’s flagship housing target could “crumble to dust” without urgent government support for the UK brick industry. So how is the Middle East conflict affecting housebuilding in Britain? Read more at the link above ⬆️ #News #Labour #HousingCrisis
♬ original sound – The i Paper – The i Paper
This means he would not raise income tax, VAT, or employee national insurance rates.
Burnham said: “I am committed to the manifesto commitments on tax, I think that’s really important from a trust point of view.”
He did, however, argue there was room to be “more radical” within the confines of these promises.
When asked about former health secretary Wes Streeting’s proposal of a capital gains tax which mirrors the three bands of income tax, Burnham was more cautious.
He said: “I’ve seen those new proposals. When we’re speaking on capital gains tax, I would want to look at them. I wouldn’t want to commit either way, I’d need to look at them in detail.
“But more broadly on the fiscal rules, I’ve never said that we should ignore the bond markets.”
Burnham later said he would not go “straight to” a wealth tax.
Labour ‘can be more radical within manifesto’
“I’m focused on what we can do within the manifesto and I’m fighting a by-election that is very much focused on people here not getting into arguments that are beyond the situation that I’m in,” he said.
Burnham has already committed to sticking to the Government’s existing borrowing rules in a bid to calm the bond markets.
A backer told the BBC: “He has committed to the [fiscal] rules as they are. It is totally essential. He understands the cost of borrowing is a huge constraint on government.”
The rules say, broadly, that day-to-day expenditure should be met from taxation rather than borrowing, and debt should fall.
This was a departure from recent weeks, when Burnham had suggested the rules might be changed – for example, by exempting rises in defence spending, as has occurred in Germany, to allow for extra spending.
But Burnham was clear on Friday that he would not abandon Labour’s current tax and spending plans.
“It’s about reprioritising that,” he said, arguing that investment in council housing would alleviate the £75m cost of paying for temporary accommodation in Greater Manchester.
“You can’t just look at that and then not do anything about it,” Burnham added.
The Mayor has called for the biggest programme of council house building since the Second World War and for more “radical” public control of utilities such as energy, water and rail.
He plugged a campaign about “change”, saying: “I know my own party needs to change.”





