A secret camera has been discovered in a sensitive Whitehall building, sparking fears of espionage, The i Paper has learned.
Security officials working at Marsham Street in Victoria, central London – a vast suite of offices that houses the Home Office and the Department for Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) – found a hidden camera in a ceiling panel, ministers have been informed.
The discovery sparked alarm because officials in the building had been involved in the controversial planning application for China’s proposed new mega-embassy in London.
Shorts
Scroll to previous short
Scroll to next short
PARENTING
Ministers to issue first guidance on children’s screen use
Many schools around the country are prohibiting mobile-phone use over concerns for children’s mental health. (Photo: Matt Cardy/Getty)
The Government has launched a three-week call for evidence as Starmer gives tech firms ultimatum to stop children sending nude images.
The key points to know
The Government is due to publish the first guidance on healthy screen use in the autumn.
It has called for the public to submit evidence for screen use for children aged five to 16.
People are also being asked to submit thoughts on screen use in schools as part of the call out.
It will be informed by an independent expert group co‑chaired by Children’s Commissioner Dame Rachel de Souza and adolescent health professor Russell Viner.
Autumn looks set for a government blitz on social media and phone regulations for teens.
Government crackdown on child internet use
‘No government has ever succeeded in changing the sexual behaviour of its citizens by diktat,’ writes Kate Maltby
Back in March, the Government released guidance saying children under the age of five should be limited to one hour of screen time per day.
Strict age verification for viewing online pornography was introduced last July.
OPINION
3 min read
What are ministers saying?
Bridget Phillipson
The Education Secretary said parents “deserve clear, practical support they can trust”.
Education Secretary Bridget Phillipson speaks on stage at Britain’s Labour Party’s annual conference (Photo: REUTERS/Phil Noble)
A child poses under petals falling from a cherry blossom tree in Greenwich Park in London (Photo: Henry Nicholls/Reuters)
Rachel de Souza
The children’s commissioner said: “Children and adults alike want clear, trustworthy information.”
Sir Keir Starmer
The PM is expected to announce a social media crackdown for under-16s, possibly drawing on Australia’s ban.
Caption: LONDON, ENGLAND – JUNE 08: Britain’s Prime Minister Keir Starmer address delegates during London Tech Week at Olympia on June 08, 2026 in London, England. Attracting the world’s leading tech companies including Microsoft, Amazon Web Services, and Google Cloud, London Tech Week brings together industry innovators, policymakers, and investors to discuss the latest breakthroughs in the world of tech. This year the Deep Tech Stage features innovations in the fields of space, robotics, sciences, quantum and AI. (Photo by Leon Neal/Getty Images)
Photographer: Leon Neal
Provider: Getty Images
Source: Getty Images Europe
Copyright: 2026 Getty Images
POLITICS
One mistake which could cost Burnham Makerfield
Abandoned plans to charge polluting vehicles £60 a day in a ‘clean air zone’ for Greater Manchester are still fresh in the minds of some voters in Makerfield.
What you need to know
With Reform breathing down his neck, there are some weaknesses in Burnham’s record he would rather avoid talking about.
Authorities in Greater Manchester spent more than £100m on a clean air zone (CAZ), which would have charged drivers of polluting vehicles up to £60 a day, but was ultimately scrapped.
Sources who worked with Burnham told The i Paper it was his “biggest mistake” as Mayor and there is still a strong sense of resentment among both residents and business owners over how it was handled.
Focus groups suggest the abandoned CAZ is viewed as his biggest mistake.
OPINION
3 min read
What do voters say?
“Two words: congestion charge,” said one voter called Anne when asked about Burnham.
“I think he made a massive error of judgement with the clean air zone,” said Val.
Voter Diane added: “There really isn’t a lot of love for him around here because of the clean air issue. A lot of people felt let down.”
Another voter called Brian added: “Well, he wasted a fortune didn’t he, putting his cameras up for the Ulez.”
Exclusive
6 min read
uk news
Former DUP leader on trial for rape
The trial of former Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) leader Sir Jeffrey Donaldson has been played a police interview with one of his two alleged victims, recorded prior to his arrest (Photo: Brian Lawless/PA)
The trial of Sir Jeffrey Donaldson, the former leader of the DUP, over 18 sex abuse charges has entered its third week at Newry Crown Court in County Down.
What we have learnt so far
Donaldson has pleaded not guilty to all charges, including one of rape.
The 18 offences were allegedly committed against two victims between 1985 and 2008.
He has denied gross indecency and indecent assault against the first complainant when she was a child, between 1999 and 2008.
More charges, including rape, relate to the second complainant, also when she was a child.
NEWS
1 min read
What has the court heard?
The jury at Newry Crown Court has begun to hear a recording of Donaldson’s interview at Antrim Police Station. He was questioned then arrested in March 2024, after the alleged victims reported their allegations to police.
Previously in the trial, the jury heard how one of the women alleged Donaldson had shone a bright light on her genitals.
He denied this in the interview, stating: “She thought I was shining a light at her… and you know I didn’t have a light. I wasn’t doing anything untoward.”
Caption: FILE PHOTO EDITORS NOTE RETRANSMITTING IMAGE PIXELLATED BY PA PICTURE DESK FOLLOWING A REQUEST RECEIVED FROM THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE IN NORTHERN IRELAND THAT THE PRISON STAFF SHOULD NOT BE IDENTIFIABLE.
Court artist drawing by Elizabeth Cook of Sir Jeffrey Donaldson appearing at Newry Crown Court, where he and his wife Lady Eleanor Donaldson are accused of historical sexual offences. Picture date: Wednesday May 27, 2026.
Photographer: Elizabeth Cook
Provider: PA Wire
Source: PA
Driverless robotaxis set to launch in the UK this summer
Today, Uber began enabling users to express their desire to be among the first people to try the new service.
Caption: EMBARGOED TO 1200 MONDAY JUNE 8
A Wayve vehicle during a demonstration of self-driving journeys at Wayve Headquarters in north London, ahead of the launch of their taxi service in London, in partnership with ride-hailing platform Uber. The company’s technology uses artificial intelligence models which learn how to drive using video content, driving data and recognising patterns. Picture date: Friday June 5, 2026. PA Photo. Photo credit should read: James Manning/PA Wire
Photographer: James Manning
Provider: James Manning/PA Wire
Source: PA
First stop – London
Caption: A busy street with traffic in London, England
Photographer: MarioGuti
Provider: Getty Images
Source: E+
Robotaxi company Wayve said it is “ready to go” as Uber prepares to launch self-driving taxis.
London will be the first city in the world to use its technology for commercial journeys.
It said the capital’s 2,000-year-old streets are an “incredible proving ground”.
POLITICS
2 min read
How will it work?
Annie Duvnjak, who leads global mobility autonomous operations at Uber, said it will launch with a “small fleet” of robotaxis, before “scaling up over time”.
Caption: EMBARGOED TO 1200 MONDAY JUNE 8
Annie Duvnjak, Uber’s Head of Global Mobility Autonomous Operations poses in front of Wayve vehicles at Wayve Headquarters in north London, ahead of the launch of their taxi service in London, in partnership with ride-hailing platform Uber. The company’s technology uses artificial intelligence models which learn how to drive using video content, driving data and recognising patterns. Picture date: Friday June 5, 2026. PA Photo. Photo credit should read: James Manning/PA Wire
Photographer: James Manning
Provider: James Manning/PA Wire
Source: PA
Road closures are expected in parts of the UK as a result of Storm Babet (Photo: Jane Barlow / PA)
Compared to San Francisco, where many of the driverless cars have been rolled out, London has 20 times more roadworks and 10 times more vulnerable road users. Time will tell if the robotaxis can cope with the unique challenges of driving in the city.
Caption: Iran launches missiles towards Israel, at an unknown location, in this still image taken from a video released June 7, 2026. Pool via WANA (West Asia News Agency)/ via REUTERS ATTENTION EDITORS – THIS PICTURE WAS PROVIDED BY A THIRD PARTY. IRAN OUT. NO COMMERCIAL OR EDITORIAL SALES IN IRAN. NO USE BBC PERSIAN. NO USE VOA PERSIAN. NO USE MANOTO. NO USE IRAN INTERNATIONAL. NO USE RADIO FARDA. NO USE ISRAEL. Verification lines: Reuters could not verify the date and location of the footage. No older versions were found posted online before June 7. Iran’s State media reported waves of missiles towards Israel. The Israeli military said it had identified missiles launched from Iran on June 7. ISRAEL OUT. NO COMMERCIAL OR EDITORIAL SALES IN ISRAEL
Photographer: Pool via WANA
Provider: via REUTERS
Source: Wana News Agency
iran war
Everything we know as Israel and Iran trade fresh strikes
Last night, the two warring nations exchanged blows for the first time since a ceasefire was reached on 8 April.
What happened?
Iran launched a fresh round of strikes against Israel in retaliation for renewed attacks on Lebanon.
Israel countered with air strikes on Iran last night, with reports of explosions heard in Tehran, Isfahan, Karaj and Tabriz.
The Mahshahr petrochemical plant was reportedly one of the targets hit in Iran.
Trump appeared angered by the escalation, writing on Truth Social: “Israel and Iran must immediately stop ‘shooting.’”
LIVE
1 min read
What does this mean for peace?
This was a worrying escalation which threatens to return the region to full-blown war after the ceasefire on 8 April.
Caption: A projectile is seen in a burned agricultural field near the town of Najha, Syria, Monday, June 8, 2026, after debris from Iranian missile launches during the Iran-Israel conflict fell in the area.(AP Photo/Ghaith Alsayed)
Photographer: Ghaith Alsayed
Provider: AP Photo/Ghaith Alsayed
Source: AP
Caption: TOPSHOT – A fireball and smoke erupt from a building following an Israeli strike in Tyre, southern Lebanon, on May 28, 2026. The Israeli military said on May 28 it had begun new strikes on Hezbollah infrastructure around the southern Lebanese city of Tyre after issuing an evacuation warning to its residents. (Photo by KAWANT HAJU / AFP via Getty Images)
Photographer: KAWANT HAJU
Provider: AFP via Getty Images
Source: AFP
Copyright: AFP or licensors
Iran has now announced an end to military operations against Israel, according to unverified reports by Fars News Agency. But, it warned stronger attacks would be renewed if Israel targets Lebanon again.
Trump claims both nations are looking for ceasefire
Both sides, Israel and Iran, are looking to do an immediate CEASEFIRE! Final negotiations on “Peace” are proceeding, subject to ignorance or stupidity getting in its way. The Blockade will remain in place, and in full force and effect, until a “Final Deal” is reached. Things should move quickly.
President Donald Trump via Truth social
Caption: FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump points his finger towards Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu as they shake hands during a press conference after meeting at Trump???s Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach, Florida, U.S., December 29, 2025. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst/File Photo
Photographer: Jonathan Ernst
Provider: REUTERS
Source: REUTERS
A source familiar with the incident, which occurred in the last two months, said the Security Services had been informed.
How the camera came to be placed in such a sensitive location, and how long it was there, remain unknown. Subsequent enquiries have sought to establish who placed the device.
The electronic device had been discovered in a communal area of a shared building used by multiple civil servants, rather than in or near ministerial offices.
One of the most high-profile decisions taken in the Marsham Street building in recent months was the approval of China’s plans for a huge new embassy in central London – despite opponents warning that the site could be used as a base for spying and posed security risks.
The revelation will renew concerns about the security of UK Government buildings.
Hackers linked to China and Russia have been connected with a series of cyber operations against UK Government systems in recent years, aimed at gathering political intelligence and accessing sensitive information. The threat posed by cyber attacks can be severe.
The presence of a covert device in a Whitehall building, in proximity to key officials and ministers responsible for sensitive policy matters, will heighten fears over espionage tactics.
There is no suggestion that Russia or China-linked actors are responsible for the device.
The discovery left staff shocked, fearing that they were being watched or listened to – and speculating about how and why the camera had been placed there.
The context was very different, but several civil servants said the discovery reminded them of the 2021 scandal when CCTV footage was leaked of former health secretary Matt Hancock kissing his mistress Gina Coladangelo in his office. The subsequent public outrage focused on Hancock’s hypocrisy, but in Whitehall there was also alarm that sensitive department meetings and conversations might be being monitored.
Tory shadow minister Alex Burghart said: “This is an extremely serious incident that demands an urgent investigation.
“The discovery of a hidden camera inside a building that occupies the Home Office and other departments raises serious questions about the security of government departments and the actions of those seeking to undermine them.”
Burghart, the Shadow Chancellor for the Duchy of Lancaster, added: “We urgently need to know who was responsible, how long this device was in place, and whether any sensitive or classified information has been compromised.”
An MHCLG spokesperson said: “We do not comment on security matters.”
The Home Office and MHCLG were involved in the controversial planning decision to approve the new Chinese embassy earlier this year. The i Paper revealed in January 2025 that the Royal Mint Court site sits close to fibre-optic cables carrying vast quantities of highly sensitive data from the City of London. The proximity sparked concern among Britain’s intelligence services that the cables could be vulnerable to attack, and used by Beijing to infiltrate the UK’s financial system.
In its final decision letter in January 2026, however, MHCLG said there was no suggestion the use of the site as an embassy would interfere with the cables. It added that no bodies with responsibility for national security – including the Home Office and the Foreign Office – had raised concerns or objected on the basis of the cables’ proximity.
The MI5 director general Sir Ken McCallum and GCHQ director Anne Keast-Butler said in a joint letter at the time that a “proportionate” package of national security mitigations had now been developed for the site.
Last autumn, Sir Ken used his annual speech to warn that state threats from China, Russia and Iran were escalating, with MI5 seeing a 35 per cent increase in the number of individuals it is investigating over the past year. Chinese state actors in particular, he said, present a daily national security threat to the UK, and he revealed that MI5 had recently intervened operationally to disrupt Chinese activity of national security concern.
Only last week, the Five Eyes alliance – made up of agencies from the UK, US, Australia, Canada and New Zealand – warned that Chinese spies are posing as recruitment agents to trick UK government and military staff into disclosing state secrets. This included using legitimate websites such as LinkedIn to advertise fake analyst jobs.
The i Paper has previously exposed how a hidden Chinese tracking device was found in a UK government car after intelligence officials stripped back vehicles in response to growing concerns over spyware.
This newspaper also revealed how the Ministry of Defence banned electric vehicles with Chinese components from sensitive sites and military training bases, after senior officials raised concerns that the vehicles could be tracked and that sensors in the cars could be used to gather intelligence and send it back to Beijing.
Other high-profile security breaches include the alleged hacking of Liz Truss’s phone by agents suspected of working for the Kremlin when she was foreign secretary. Cyber-spies are believed to have gained access to top-secret exchanges with key international partners, as well as private conversations with her leading political ally, Kwasi Kwarteng.
The phone was so heavily compromised, it was placed in a locked safe at a secure government location, according to reports.





