Good Morning Britain’s Susanna Reid issued a live on-air apology to a British tennis star

08:04, 07 Jul 2026Updated 08:06, 07 Jul 2026

Ed Balls and Susanna Reid

Ed Balls and Susanna Reid hosted GMB(Image: ITV)

Susanna Reid offered an apology on Good Morning Britain.

The 55-year-old presenter returned to the ITV studios on Tuesday (July 7) to present the latest news from across the UK and internationally, working alongside her co-host Ed Balls.

During the programme, Ranvir Singh delivered an exciting announcement from Wimbledon, following Arthur Fery’s achievement as the first British wildcard to reach the quarter finals after a thrilling five-set victory over Grigor Dimitrov.

On today’s GMB, Ranvir said: “The British tennis player Arthur Fery has made it into the Wimbledon quarter finals after he won a wonderful five-set match on Centre Court against Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov.”

Susanna and Ed subsequently discussed the remarkable achievement with regular contributors Kwasi Kwarteng and the Mirror’s Kevin Maguire, moments before Susanna offered an apology to the British contender, reports the Mirror.

Arthur Fery

Arthur Fery made it through to the Wimbledon quarter finals(Image: ITV)

She said: “Let’s celebrate an incredible sporting achievement. British wildcard Arthur Fery emerging victorious following an enthralling five-set thriller yesterday with Grigor Dimitrov to make it to the Wimbledon quarter finals.

“He is 23 years old and is now carrying the British hopes in the tournament. So, the result on Centre Court in this showdown yesterday, he came down from two sets to one to win a final set tiebreak. So, it went 5-7, 6-3, 6-4, 4-6, and then 6-7.”

Susanna continued: “Congratulations Arthur Fery. And he’s playing in pretty hot, humid conditions,” before offering her apology: “And I had never heard of him, sorry Arthur!”

Kevin continued: “I know, because he’s so low ranked. This is the fantastic sporting story. It’s somebody [with] little chance achieving incredible success, while [Donald] Trump and the [World Cup] red card is the very worst of sport.”

Susanna disclosed that Arthur received praise from former British tennis player Tim Henman, who remarked: “An incredible performance. He’s shaking his head in disbelief about what just happened.”

Ed Balls and Susanna Reid

Susanna issued an apology on air(Image: ITV)

Following his Centre Court victory, Arthur commented: “I’ve no words right now. It’s incredibly tough to put words to what I’ve just felt on a tennis court in front of all you guys. The support was phenomenal.

“First time on this court, five sets against an absolute legend of the game. I grew up five minutes from here, I grew up coming to watch matches on this court.”

Addressing Roger Federer, who was seated in the Royal Box, Arthur said: “We’ve got probably the greatest of all time watching from the front row of the Royal Box. Now playing here in front of all you guys and winning, it’s unbelievable.”

This marked the first occasion in grand slam history where two wild card entries had progressed to such an advanced stage of a tournament, after Dimitrov’s ranking plummeted to 146 following a devastating injury at the same stage of last year’s Wimbledon Championships.

Good Morning Britain airs weekdays on ITV1 and ITVX at 6am