Police have begun checking in with arrivals at a protected woodland next to a popular Anglesey beach. The move was instigated amid growing concerns over the fire threat to 2,500-acre Newborough Forest.

Two officers are patrolling the national nature reserve and manning checkpoints on an access road leading to Traeth Llanddwyn. The iconic beach has long been a tourism hotspot but visitor numbers have soared since it became a social media favourite.

Most people are respectful but some flout the rules. These include strict bans on camping, open fires and BBQs on the beach and in the forest. There is a dedicated BBQ area in the main beach car park but in recent days this has been cordoned off.

At the weekend, fire threat levels climbed so high, the entire nature reserve was shut down for a day. People living nearby are on constant edge in case a catastrophic fire breaks out.

Cathy Sands, a community liaison with site manager Natural Resources Wales (NRW), welcomed the policing initiative. She said: “As people arrive, officers are having a quick word and reminding them that fires and barbecues are not allowed.

“The fact that we have police here at all is wonderful. NRW wardens do a fantastic job but police officers have greater powers to act if they come across illegal activity.”

North Wales Police (NWP) confirmed that local officers on Anglesey will be working alongside the force’s Rural Crime Team. Get the best island stories from our Anglesey newsletter – sent every Friday

An official BBQ area on Traeth Llanddwyn beach has been cordoned off

An official BBQ area on Traeth Llanddwyn beach has been cordoned off(Image: Llanddwyn & Forest Support Group)

A police spokesperson said: “They will be conducting patrols as part of their wider duties, to educate and, where necessary, enforce around the dangers of using barbecues and lighting fires in areas identified as being vulnerable.”

Warnings have been issued locally that, if fire threats are adjudged to be too high, the forest, its beach and iconic tidal island could shut again at short notice. In the past week, huge new banners have been erected at the site cautioning visitors of the fire risks.

Despite this, “quite a few” disposable BBQs were subsequently discovered by patrolling wardens and police officers. Also found were open fires started by people camping illegally.

Local fears have climbed further following disastrous wildfires in Conwy and Eryri National Park in the past week. As well as providing stark reminders of the dangers, the incidents saw local fire resources deployed away from the island.

Smouldering camp fire found by wardens on the beach

Smouldering camp fire found by wardens on the beach(Image: NRW)

In late June, disaster was narrowly averted at Newborough Forest when two local residents spotted smoke and, on investigating, discovered a “full-on fire” among trees. Using branches, the couple spent 45 minutes frantically trying to beat back the flames until firefighters arrived.

The incident prompted calls for more patrols and enforcement, coupled with public awareness campaigns as peak summer approaches. Although police won’t have a permanent presence at the forest, Cathy hopes they will make a real difference.

She said: “We’re hoping they will remain here for the summer, not just during the heatwave, because there is a real need for them. That’s what we are anticipating.

“Having them here is a real positive – it’s a beautiful place but not all visitors respect its vulnerability to fire.”

New banners spell out the rules

New banners spell out the rules(Image: Llanddwyn & Forest Support Group)

A month-long programme of improvements is ongoing on the forest’s roads and tracks, scheduled for completion by July 31. This week, part of the beach car park was closed to enable sand to be cleared by diggers.

Sand encroachment is becoming a “real issue” at the site and NRW has previously said alternative parking arrangements may need to be considered as climate change accelerates.

NRW also suggested people should “choose a picnic over a BBQ” if visiting one of its sites, adding: “It only takes one stray spark or discarded glass bottle to cause a devastating fire.”

The North Wales Live Whatsapp community for top stories and breaking news is live now – here’s how to sign up