WINNIPEG – Hundreds of people remain displaced more than six months after some residents of a northern Manitoba First Nation were forced to evacuate because of a power outage that led to severe water damage.
More than 4,000 members of Pimicikamak Cree Nation, also known as Cross Lake, left the community after it suffered a days-long power outage at the end of last year, resulting in frozen water systems, sewer backups, electrical issues and burst pipes.
Chief David Monias says 650 people have not been able to return because work still needs to be done on 180 homes deemed uninhabitable, while another 35 homes need to be replaced.

Pimicikamak Cree Nation Chief David Monias and Minister of Northern and Arctic Affairs Rebecca Chartrand talk during a tour with politicians and media at Pimicikamak Cree Nation, Man., on Wednesday, January 7, 2026. THE CANADIAN PRESS/John
Monias has filed a proposed class-action lawsuit against Crown-owned Manitoba Hydro, the province and the Attorney General of Canada on behalf of the roughly 8,000 community members he represents.
They’re seeking an unspecified amount in damages, the installation of a secondary hydro line in the First Nation and resources for proper emergency preparedness.
The First Nation previously asked the utility corporation to move the 300-metre-long power line that broke, causing the outage, from above the Nelson River to a nearby road.
The class action must be certified by a judge before it can move forward.
Monias told reporters that the lack of help from provincial and federal governments forced the community to bring their concerns to the courts.
“They’re washing their hands, saying they’re not responsible,” he said Wednesday.
A provincial spokesperson said it would not be appropriate to comment on the lawsuit as it’s before the courts.
The federal Justice Department said it ‘s reviewing the statement of claim to determine next steps.
Manitoba Hydro didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.
The statement of claim alleges Manitoba Hydro, the province and federal government knew the First Nation’s electrical supply was vulnerable, failed to act on years of warnings and failed to help the community adequately prepare for a prolonged winter outage.
Winnipeg Free Press | Newsletter
![]()
“The defendants knew, or ought to have known, that a prolonged winter power outage on the reserve would not be a mere inconvenience. It would create a public health, housing, water, sewage, safety and evacuation emergency,” said the claim, filed on Tuesday.
The lawsuit alleges there were repeated warnings to Manitoba Hydro and the province between 2018 and 2025 about unreliable service, winter repair risks, inadequate emergency power and the need for a second line.
“The warning signs were there for many years,” said Jeremy McKay, a lawyer with the firm representing the First Nation.
The proposed class action also wants the courts to order Ottawa to immediately approve and fund a new water treatment plant after one in the community was deemed inoperable because of the outage.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 29, 2026.