A national union says it was told by Stellantis this week that it is seriously considering the closure and sale of the Brampton Assembly Plant.
Unifor national president Lana Payne told reporters on Friday that the union “received information” from Stellantis on Wednesday about its possible plans, but Stellantis has not provided the union with formal written notice of closure of the plant as required under its collective agreement.
Payne said the company is required under the terms of the collective agreement to give at least one year’s notice to the union of any such closure or sale. She said the company has indicated its intent to open discussions with another company about the potential sale of the plant.
“To say that we are disappointed would be an understatement,” Payne said. “This is a gut punch to our union and to our members, most importantly to our members, the workers who have given everything to this plant.”
In a statement on Friday, Stellantis said: “We are preparing to enter the collective bargaining process and have nothing to announce at this time. Our focus remains on finding a sustainable manufacturing solution for Brampton Assembly.”
‘None of this is acceptable,’ Unifor says
Payne said the plant had been slated to be retooled for Jeep Compass production, a process that began in January 2024 but was paused in February 2025.
In October 2025, the company informed the union that it was going to move Jeep Compass production slated for Brampton to the U.S., a move that would idle the plant indefinitely.
“There is absolutely no replacement for high paid union jobs developed under an auto sector collective agreement built up over 80 years,” Payne said.
She said the union will bring up the issue with Stellantis in upcoming contract negotiations.
“None of this is acceptable to our union and nor will it be acceptable to our members. The workers of Brampton and this country deserve so much better,” Payne said.

Unifor National President Lana Payne is pictured here in Toronto on June 22, 2026. (Alex Lupul/CBC)
She added the union will continue to call on the federal government for a policy that would protect Canada’s auto manufacturing sector.
The news comes as Unifor has begun to negotiate new labour agreements with the Detroit Three automakers. It’s currently in talks with General Motors, and is set to move on to Stellantis next. Its contract with Stellantis, which covers plants in Brampton, Windsor and Etobicoke, is due to expire Sept. 20.
‘This is not how the story ends for Brampton,’ union says
Vito Beato, president of Unifor Local 1285, said the union will continue to fight to preserve the jobs at the Brampton plant.
“To give up on workers now is the wrong move because these jobs are way too important to lose,” Beato said.
“This is not how the story ends for Brampton. You can mark my words,” he added. “I look forward to discussing opportunities for our plant and a path back to vehicle production when we get to the bargaining table because closure is not an option.”
Unifor local 1285 represents about 2,200 Unifor members at the Brampton plant. While the plant is idle, the workers are receiving “income security,” which has replaced 70 per cent of their income, the union said in an email.
In a statement on Friday, Shawn Bubel, spokesperson for Brampton mayor Patrick Brown, said the City of Brampton “stands firmly” with Unifor and the workers at the plant.
“The City has taken steps to protect the future of automotive manufacturing at this site, including zoning the lands for automotive production so they cannot simply be sold for another use,” Bubel said.
“The City remains hopeful that a solution can be found that protects automotive production in Brampton and sees workers return to the plant as soon as possible.”