After facing pushback from residents and merchants, the Côte-des-Neiges — Notre-Dame-de-Grâce borough is scaling back its plan to add parking meters along a stretch of Sherbrooke St.
Residents applauded the change Thursday, but expressed concern the revised plan could still negatively affect merchants and questioned why it was pushed through in the first place.
“We weren’t consulted beforehand,” said Alessia Proietti, who lives in the area and helped organize a petition against the plan. “If we were, we would have worked together with the city — we want businesses in the area to succeed just as much as the city does.”
Under the borough’s original plan, announced last month, 447 paid spaces were to be added on Sherbrooke St. between Grand Blvd. and the borough’s boundary with Westmount, as well as on portions of intersecting streets along the span.
The revised plan no longer calls for meters on cross streets west of Décarie Blvd., but maintains them on the stretch of Sherbrooke St. — except for one block between Grand Blvd. and Beaconsfield Ave. It reduces the number of new paid spaces to about 250.
The initial plan was met with immediate pushback and a petition from residents and merchants, who argued it would greatly reduce parking options for those living on nearby streets and hurt businesses.
Franck Ollivier, the owner of the Ophtalmo veterinary clinic on Sherbrooke St., said Thursday that while he’s happy for residents on the cross streets, the revised plan does little to appease his concerns.
“This changes nothing to the fact they need to find solutions for businesses,” said Ollivier, noting the new meters on Sherbrooke St. will make parking difficult for both his employees and clients.
“We would like the administration to work with us instead of putting obstacles in our path,” he added.
Snowdon city councillor Sonny Moroz, serving as interim borough mayor, said he stands by the need for parking meters on Sherbrooke St. but could no longer justify adding them to side streets after hearing residents’ concerns.
Moroz acknowledged the initial plan “wasn’t perfect” and said he’s willing to work with business owners like Ollivier who have specific concerns.
“We have the humility to adjust our plans, and we have the intention to continue listening to people,” Moroz said, adding that he believes the new plan strikes the right balance.
“It allows us to bring the necessary vitality changes and to be able to invest in the cleanliness of Sherbrooke, without having a negative impact on people’s quality of life in the area,” he added.
Projet Montréal city councillor Peter McQueen, the only councillor to vote against the initial plan in March, welcomed the revision and commended residents for speaking out.
“It was just too much change all at once and for no reason,” McQueen said.
He added that he still feels some of the meters on Sherbrooke St., particularly in front of Notre-Dame-de-Grâce Park , aren’t necessary.
McQueen also voiced concerns about meters being in effect until 9 p.m., and whether empty parking spots in the evening — especially in the winter — could have unintended consequences for pedestrian safety.
“It’s a proven fact that the wider a street is with the less obstacles, the faster cars go,” he said. “And that is definitely dangerous for people trying to cross the street.”
The borough said it plans to begin installing the new meters in mid-May and they should be operational come June. A grace period is planned to allow people to adjust.
Editor’s Picks