US-Canada trade talks have collapsed after last-minute negotiations failed to produce a deal, triggering 50 per cent US tariffs on around $20 billion of Canadian goods. Prime Minister Mark Carney has suspended negotiations and vowed dollar-for-dollar retaliation, deepening tensions with President Donald Trump and putting the free trade deal at risk
Trade negotiations between the United States and Canada have collapsed after three days of intensive discussions failed to produce an agreement, triggering a fresh escalation in the already strained relationship between the two long-standing allies.
The Trump administration imposed 50 per cent tariffs on around $20 billion worth of Canadian goods shortly after midnight on Saturday, August 22, 2026.
Canada responded by announcing plans to retaliate dollar for dollar, while Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended negotiations and ordered his negotiating team to return to Ottawa.
The breakdown came after Washington and Ottawa had appeared close to a compromise just days earlier.
The United States had extended an earlier deadline by 72 hours to give negotiators more time, but disagreements over tariffs, market access and commitments in key industries ultimately proved impossible to resolve.
The latest measures affect roughly 5 per cent of Canada’s annual exports to the United States. While the targeted trade is relatively small compared with the enormous volume of commerce between the two countries, the political consequences could be much greater.
The dispute could complicate the future of the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA), the continent’s principal free-trade framework, just as Washington, Ottawa and Mexico City face the prospect of a broader review.
More from ExplainersWhy did US-Canada trade talks collapse?
Canadian Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc and US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer led the negotiations during the past three days of intensive discussions.
The talks focused heavily on some of the industries most affected by Trump’s tariff policy, including steel, aluminium, automobiles and softwood lumber.
At one point, the negotiations appeared to be moving towards a compromise. Sources indicated that an emerging framework could have reduced tariffs affecting Canadian steel, aluminium and automobiles, reported Reuters.
There was also discussion around potentially restoring American alcohol products to Canadian liquor stores, with Canadian officials examining concessions that could have involved provincial governments removing long-standing restrictions on US alcohol.
However, the apparent progress did not survive the final stage of negotiations.
A senior Trump administration official said Canada had sought additional concessions on steel, aluminium, automobiles and softwood lumber after Washington had already offered what it considered highly favourable terms.
Greer claimed the Canadian side ultimately rejected the framework that had been developed earlier in the week.
“Tonight, Canada declined to finalise the trade deal under the terms agreed earlier this week. Despite the US offer to Canada to receive the best treatment of any major exporter to our market, new demands and walk-backs of other commitments by Canada have upended the careful balance reached in the past days,” he said.
In another statement delivered during a White House briefing, Greer described the outcome as a lost opportunity for Ottawa. “This is a missed opportunity for Canada to partner with the United States, which is the fastest-growing economy in the G7,” Greer said.
Washington argued that its proposal was designed to provide Canada with particularly favourable access to the American market. Greer characterised the offer as “forward-looking” and said it included “a historic economic and national security partnership.”
Ottawa offered an entirely different account of what happened. Carney said Canadian negotiators had continued working in good faith but that Washington had changed the proposed terms at the last moment, claiming that “last-minute changes in the US proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal.”
He subsequently announced the suspension of the talks and instructed Canada’s negotiating team to return to Ottawa. “I have decided to suspend trade negotiations with the U.S. and have directed Canada’s negotiators to return to Ottawa,” Carney said.
He added that Canada’s representatives had sought to defend the country’s interests throughout the discussions.
“They have worked hard, in good faith, to defend the interests of Canadians throughout these negotiations up until the very last minute,” he said. “However, last-minute changes in the U.S. proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal.”
Carney also stressed that Ottawa’s objective had never been to sign an agreement simply for the sake of reaching one. Canada’s goal throughout the negotiations had been to secure the best possible agreement, “never a deal at any price or on any deadline.”
With the negotiations now suspended, no further discussions have been scheduled.
How have Trump’s tariffs escalated the dispute with Canada?
The new 50 per cent duties represent a major escalation in Trump’s trade confrontation with Canada, although they cover only a relatively small portion of Canada’s exports to its southern neighbour.
The tariffs apply to approximately $20 billion worth of Canadian products, with estimates in the negotiations putting the affected trade at between roughly $20 billion and $28 billion.
The goods include a range of products, from hockey equipment to everyday medical items such as tongue depressors.
The affected goods represent just over 5 per cent of Canada’s exports to the United States. They also do not receive preferential treatment under the USMCA, according to trade experts.
The latest measures are being imposed on top of existing American tariffs affecting important Canadian industries, particularly steel, lumber and automobiles. Those sectors have already absorbed considerable pressure over the past 18 months.
Trump’s administration has increasingly relied on tariffs as a central component of its second-term economic strategy. His approach has included attempts to use import duties to encourage manufacturing in the United States and reduce America’s dependence on foreign production.
The administration’s latest action against Canada also draws on a rarely used provision of American trade law.
Washington has invoked Section 338 of the Tariff Act of 1930 as the legal basis for the new tariffs. The provision allows the president to impose duties as high as 50 per cent on imports from countries deemed to have discriminated against American businesses.
Section 338 has never previously been used to impose tariffs. Unlike some other trade mechanisms, it does not require an investigation before the US president can impose the levies, and there is no specified limit on how long the tariffs can remain in effect.
The legal mechanism dates back to the economic turmoil of the Great Depression. The broader 1930 tariff legislation, associated with the Smoot-Hawley tariffs, remains one of the most controversial episodes in US trade history.
Economists and historians have long argued that the protectionist measures restricted international commerce and contributed to worsening the Depression.
Trump’s renewed reliance on tariff powers comes after his administration faced legal challenges over earlier tariff measures. The Supreme Court ruled in February that Trump had exceeded his authority in imposing those tariffs, creating the prospect of refunds for importers and encouraging the administration to seek alternative legal routes.
For Canada, sectors like automobile manufacturing, steel, aluminium and lumber are particularly exposed. Canadian goods can cross the border multiple times during the production process, meaning tariffs can increase costs at several stages rather than simply affecting a finished product.
Canadian businesses therefore face the possibility of higher costs, reduced competitiveness and weaker demand, while American manufacturers and consumers can also feel the effects through more expensive imported inputs.
Candace Laing, president and CEO of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce, described the new measures as “a body blow to North American competitiveness,” warning that they could increase costs for American consumers while putting Canadian businesses, customers and investment under pressure.
Trump had also previously threatened additional duties covering a much broader range of Canadian products, including wine, furniture, dairy products, cement, clothing, fishing rods and hockey equipment.
Why is the Trump-Carney relationship becoming so tense?
The trade dispute has increasingly become a confrontation between Trump and Carney that reflects a much broader change in how Washington and Ottawa view their relationship.
Trump’s return to the White House has brought an unusually confrontational approach towards Canada. In addition to using tariffs as an economic weapon, the US president has repeatedly spoken about the possibility of Canada becoming America’s 51st state.
That rhetoric has caused frustration in Canada and has contributed to a deterioration in public sentiment towards the United States.
A petition seeking the removal of US Ambassador to Canada Pete Hoekstra, a Trump ally, had collected nearly 248,000 signatures since July 21. The petition accuses the envoy of having “normalised’’ Trump’s comments about annexing Canada, among other allegations.
Carney, meanwhile, came to office promising to defend Canadian interests in the face of pressure from Washington. He has maintained that Ottawa should not accept an agreement simply because of an American deadline or political pressure.
He also said Canada had recognised that “America has changed” and that the two countries would “not return to our old relationship.”
For decades, Canada’s economy has been extraordinarily dependent on access to the US market. Nearly 72 per cent of Canada’s goods exports went to the United States last year. Both countries conducted around $880 billion in trade in goods and services last year, with approximately $2 billion worth of goods crossing their shared border every day.
Yet the political relationship has traditionally been remarkably close despite recurring commercial disputes.
The two nations share a 5,525-mile border that remains undefended. Around 330,000 people and approximately $2 billion worth of goods cross the border every day, while about 800,000 Canadians live in the United States.
The countries have also fought alongside one another when Canadian and American forces served together in Afghanistan following the September 11 attacks.
For much of their history, Washington and Ottawa have been able to compartmentalise disagreements over issues such as Canadian softwood lumber exports and American access to Canada’s protected dairy market.
The Trump era has made that separation increasingly difficult.
What does the trade war mean for USMCA and North American trade?
The latest confrontation arrives at a particularly sensitive moment because the United States, Canada and Mexico are approaching the future of the USMCA. The trade agreement was negotiated during Trump’s first term in the White House and was once presented by him as a major achievement.
Washington has already begun formal discussions with Mexico over the future of the agreement. Negotiations with Canada, however, have yet to begin.
The deterioration in US-Canada relations raises questions about whether a wider agreement can be renewed smoothly. The immediate tariff dispute also creates economic risks that extend beyond the value of the goods directly targeted.
North American manufacturing is built around cross-border supply chains. Components, raw materials and finished products frequently move between Canada, the United States and Mexico before reaching consumers.
A sustained tariff conflict could therefore raise costs for companies on both sides of the border and potentially contribute to job losses or business closures in vulnerable sectors.
Canada has already indicated that it intends to respond to the American tariffs.
Carney’s government is simultaneously looking beyond the traditional dependence on the American market. His administration has been pursuing a broader economic reorientation, including plans for a major domestic infrastructure programme valued at $500 billion and efforts to expand trade with partners in Europe, Asia and Latin America.
With inputs from agencies